Sony hc7 or hvr-a1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using a Top Dawg (also by L&M but a low end housing) which is undoubtedly part of the problem since it cannot access MWB. However, I've also had problems with it topside not focusing well and not beginning to record for 8-10 sec after I press the record button (not good for action shots).

Have your turned quick record on? I've turned that on and the 5 minute auto time out (2 less things to blame the "Dang, I just missed that" on). Drawback I see of quick record is several frames of black video at the end of many of the clips, or the last frame being held. But that has not been an issue when editing (just eliminate those frames - and I always try to get longer segments..)

my .02

I just watched the L&M video about the Bluefin HC7. I like the ability to access 80% of the touchscreen functions using their side mechanical controls.

Now that's interesting... I always thought the HC7 Bluefin just had a button contraption that you turn 1 way, then the other way, to hit the MWB button on the LCD.

edit: just had a look at that video. Oh, that is nice. So they do have 4 buttons in all touching the screen. Wow, if I knew that when I was first shopping for a HC7 housing, I might have made a different choice... :wink:

Thanks Guys for all your help
I think i`m going to go for the bluefin hc7 housing,they now come with a LCD monitor fitted in the back plate instead of the eye viewfinder.I agree alot of money but I want a housing I can access most of the cameras controls especially over here,you guys don`t realise how good your vis is over there.Hope i won`t be disappointed with the HC7 camera.

From my personal experience, you can not go wrong with the combination of sony and amphibico. I would suggest the Evo housing. you can get it from them directly for 2,550.00 CDN I also would choose the HVR-A1U but be warned that I also did this and one year later we will be upgrading to the V1U. Best part about the upgrade is no new housing will be required!

Good luck with your choice...

From my personal experience, you can not go wrong with the combination of sony and amphibico. I would suggest the Evo housing. you can get it from them directly for 2,550.00 CDN I also would choose the HVR-A1U but be warned that I also did this and one year later we will be upgrading to the V1U. Best part about the upgrade is no new housing will be required,
With all due respect, that's not possible. The HVR-A1U is built on the smaller form factor single CMOS HDR-HC1 body - with XLR inputs and other features. It fits in the EVO/EVO Pro/EVO HD Elite housings. Retail under $2500.

The HVR-V1U is based on the larger bodied 3-CMOS HDR-FX7. (recently discontinued) The housing for it is the Endeavor which sells for between $4200 and $9200+ depending on port selection and options.

A visual comparison of the size differences can be found here.

From my personal experience, you can not go wrong with the combination of sony and amphibico. I would suggest the Evo housing. you can get it from them directly for 2,550.00 CDN I also would choose the HVR-A1U but be warned that I also did this and one year later we will be upgrading to the V1U. Best part about the upgrade is no new housing will be required!

Good luck with your choice...
I wish this was true, but I think Steve is right its too big. I love my EVO PRO with my Sony A1u not great in low light but awesome video. Mark

I've got some great results from the HC7 in temperate waters around the UK. The problem you have Dr Bill is not the camera but your lack of ability to MWB. All of the single chip Sony HDV cams are horrible underwater if they are set to AWB, which you can overcome for macro with good lights, but for WA you'll never get anything other than saturated green (even in tropical water AWB will give a very green water colour on these cams).

The HC7 is a great little cam, but it does have issues with low light performance. I think the single biggest downside in that regard is the lack of manual gain function which can give you some very noisy images in low light.

The A1 is based on slightly older technology, personally I'd say it was worse than the HC7 in low light, but its a sound camera and I've seen some stunning results from it when put into the hands of someone who knows how to use it and who has access to all the required controls.

In that price range you can't really go wrong with either of those cameras. Just make sure you have access to MWB! :)

Oh just for the record HC7 + Amphibico should be avoided due to lack to MWB, and there is no way that a V1 will fit into a A1 housing. The V1 is 2-3 times the size of the A1!

Cheers, Simon

With all due respect, that's not possible. The HVR-A1U is built on the smaller form factor single CMOS HDR-HC1 body - with XLR inputs and other features. It fits in the EVO/EVO Pro/EVO HD Elite housings. Retail under $2500.

The HVR-V1U is based on the larger bodied 3-CMOS HDR-FX7. (recently discontinued) The housing for it is the Endeavor which sells for between $4200 and $9200+ depending on port selection and options.

A visual comparison of the size differences can be found here.

Hey, if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it, but when we called amphibico it was they themselves who said no new housing would be required. If this means we can not upgrade withour the endeavour housing we will be seriously rethinking that purchase as well. Thanks to those who did say something. You may have prevented me from making a very costly mistake.

I don't know Pak, the FX1 is housed in the Phenom, not the Endeavor. The FX1 has the LCD on top so the Phenom has a window for it. But the FX7 has the LCD on the left hand side so the Endeavor adds an external monitor standard on the back. And I'd guess different port positioning. The Phenom is a beast, it's about 3" bigger in two dimensions than the Endeavor. I've seen both in person at the Amphibico booth at a recent show, they're definitely not interchangeable.

MM,

Compare specifications on the two models. The Endeavor
"NEW" Endeavor Class Digital Marine Housing for SONY® HDR-FX7 and HVR-V1
is 15.3"x12.9"x9.1"

The EVO by comparison is 11.25"x10.5"x6.5".

I own an HC1/EVO and just played with an FX7 in the store Saturday. There is no way it would fit in an EVO housing. Even if the height/width were small enough it's too long...And with that big handle on top, too tall most likely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom