Sony - how long between models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have never really followed Sony in the past but I am quite interested in the RX100. Looks like may be a great option to get high quality plus the versatility of wet lenses.

I know it is difficult to speculate on timing of new models but just wondering if anyone has any idea how long Sony tend to have between models?

The RX100 sounds like a fantastic camera but does have some quirks that make me wonder if it may be worth waiting a while. I am wondering how long it is likely to be before we see the next model?

Also, when was the RX100 released?

Release date August 2012, if you think like that you never get a camera as you are always waiting
In essence there are two ways to approach this:
1. You get the latest model as it comes out - RX100
2. You get an obsolete well known model and get deals on housing - Canon S100 at this time

The RX100 for still pictures is fabulous the issue it has are just annoying for video, a great plus is that it takes a lot of wide angle lenses included those designed for 35mm like the Inon UWL100 and UFL165AD because the lens is fully extended at wide end, no other cameras have this feature

Thanks for your viewpoint Interceptor.

I currently have an S95 and want to upgrade. One strategy I am considering is to gradually upgrade the Canon with a stobe and wet lenses. Then when I upgrade to something like an RX100 I would already have the 'add ons".

I am hoping that Sony may iron out a few things with the RX100 in the next model, such as the video modes, lack of close focus, slow lens in the telephoto range etc. Of course that presumes they don't do anything that detracts from its use as an underwater camera.

I guess what I am thinking is that the cost of the Nauticam housing for the RX100 is pretty high and on my budget would preclude upgrading the camera just because a new model came out. Hence my query as to what Sony's track record is for releasing new models. If a new version was only 12 months away, and it lived up to expectations then I would probably wait before taking the leap.

The issues you mention are irrelevant to underwater and in that respect the S95 is not much better
however as I have an S95 I can tell you that the Inon AD lenses I have work perfectly
The issue is if the next camera has a different brighters lens those lenses wont work so is chicken and egg

I realise that there are physical limitations (damn the laws of physics and how they apply to light!) so that if they make the lens better for macro it may mean compromising something else. Still, it will be interesting to see where they take this camera. If they take any notice of internet chatter they must be realising that it is hugely popular for underwater use.

Some of my use of the camera would be above water, hence the interest in a faster lens in the telephoto range. Macro would be great for both above and below water, but at least for below water you can add a close up wet lens.

What you say about never buying a camera (or any other electronic device for that matter) if you keep waiting for the next model is quite true, but I do wonder what developments we will see from Sony and other camera manufacturers now that Sony have set the bar so high for pocket size compacts. The next year or two could bring some interesting developments. And if Sony make changes to the RX100 in the next model that are not good for underwater use then I can always pick up an RX100 second hand.

I was in a similar situation many years ago, and I decided to keep my existing UW camera (an olympus) and buy strobe ( Inon S2000). Worked out great, my results were much better than before. Two year later the S90 came out and I bought that and a Ikelite housing. Still using the same Inon S2000

So if your choice is S95+Strobe vs RX100 without a Strobe, go for the Strobe.

I agree with the above...a strobe would be a lot more important and make a much greater impact to your images than a camera change to the Rx100 from what you already have.

BlueDevil's original question has not been answered yet, that is, when do we estimate Sony to update the RX100?

My 2cents worth would be to add the following to your existing set-up (and pretty much in this order, give or take) before upgrading cameras: Strobe, macro wet lens, focus light (a Sola 600 or 800 is great), wide angle wet lens (assuming your existing set-up can take it and make sure it will be compatible with the Sony), 2nd strobe. Play with these and then if and when Sony updates the RX100 you can make your move and you will have a pretty impressive set-up. I'm currently only at step three, still have a few more toys to get!

+1 for AlMitch ideas. However I would buy it all :)

I don't think anyone has a clue when the RX100 will get updated. Its the first of its line, so there is no track record.
If it were Canon 'S' series, I'd say 12-18 months, since the S90,S95,S100,S110 roughly follows that pattern.

I'd bet $1 we do not see a RX100 replacement in 2013

Back
Top Bottom