Sony - how long between models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is that is not safe to assume that product upgrades make a camera more suitable to underwater use
Example if Sony comes with a 24mm equivalent lens this will mean that fisheye wet lens options will be problematic
There are no major issues with the rx100 to require a product upgrade as long as you have the right additional gear
If I had a canon s95 I would get myself add on lenses and strobe as those are likely to be recycled for the rx100 and you could pick up a good deal in two years

Thanks for your comments KuhnNeal and James R. I think you are right when you say a strobe would be a good first step. While I have been able to get some very good photos with my S95 and internal flash it is very limiting and there are many shots that I know are not even worth attempting without a strobe.

My 2cents worth would be to add the following to your existing set-up (and pretty much in this order, give or take) before upgrading cameras: Strobe, macro wet lens, focus light (a Sola 600 or 800 is great), wide angle wet lens (assuming your existing set-up can take it and make sure it will be compatible with the Sony), 2nd strobe. Play with these and then if and when Sony updates the RX100 you can make your move and you will have a pretty impressive set-up. I'm currently only at step three, still have a few more toys to get!

Thanks AlMitch. I have formulated many plans for upgrading my camera gear over the last few weeks and those plans seem to change on a frequent basis as I acquire more knowledge. What you have proposed above is very much in line with what I think would be the best option for me at present. In effect almost everything I buy for the S95 would be usable if I decide to upgrade to a Sony down the track, so would provide a way of improving my photography right now without having to fork out huge amounts of money in one hit.

Just to complicate things a bit though is the fact that I do own an Olympus E-PL5 (I basically got it free). I have only had it a week and am presently viewing it as a camera for topside use (have wanted a high quality SLR like option for a while). I could of course put this camera in a housing and it would be fantastic for underwater use, but the main thing that is holding me back from that is that I like the wet lens concept and am not sure how I would cope with loss of versatility with having to choose lenses before the dive as would be the case with the E-PL5. If there was a housing/port option that would allow me to use wet lenses with the Olympus I would go that route immediately. I haven't ruled out going for dedicated lenses (eg 9- 18mm, 60mm macro etc) for the Olympus (and photgraphically this is probably the option that would lead to best quality photos), but am favouring the wet lens option to give me max versatility. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

In the meantime a S&S YS-D1 maybe as far as the budget would currently stretch (and would be great for any camera system I choose to go with).

All comments greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 09:20 AM ----------

The point is that is not safe to assume that product upgrades make a camera more suitable to underwater use
Example if Sony comes with a 24mm equivalent lens this will mean that fisheye wet lens options will be problematic
There are no major issues with the rx100 to require a product upgrade as long as you have the right additional gear
If I had a canon s95 I would get myself add on lenses and strobe as those are likely to be recycled for the rx100 and you could pick up a good deal in two years

Thanks for your comments. I think you are right in what you are saying. There is no doubt the RX100 is capable of fantastic photos in its current form, and when the RX100 does get upgraded it may be possible to pick up the 'old' model at a good price.

Back
Top Bottom