Sony RX100II WB sucks underwater !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 5min rule in photography: If an image needs more than 5min of post processing, I delete it and move on.

After using Lightroom for a few years, my rule is now "If an image needs more than 30 seconds of post processing, I delete it and move on."
An exception is if I love the photo but need to take out backscatter.

Post processing is so much more than white balance and exposure adjustments; it is a hugely valuable tool for filing photos, automated backup, and finding photos again.

It is also a very good learning tool; last weekend I went to a local festival with camera; before I went I looked at the photos I shot last year and reviewed the focal length of all the 'good' shots, looked at most of the other settings like i.s.o. and the aperture setting. So when I returned this time I used a different lens but I had a better idea what aperture to use for each type of shot for the effect I wanted.

How long did it take me to find the photos from last year? About 4 seconds ! I just typed in "Morikami" into the lightroom search and instantly saw all the photos I have taken there.

I can also type in 150-500mm and instantly, Lightroom will show me all the photos I took with that particular lens.
I can type in S110 and instantly see all the photos I took with that camera.
I can type in " Castor" and instantly see all the photos I took at the artificial wreck MV Castor.

There are many programs for post-processing. The difficult part with all of them is 'getting started'. If you can take a class, or sit with an experienced friend for a few minutes that will help you understand what to do at first. Then you can ignore all the 'advanced stuff' for now and learn that stuff later when/if you need to.

To me, to buy a modern camera and not shoot in raw is like buying a very good sound system for my car but never using it for anything other than A.M. talk radio.

Raw images will use a lot of memory, possibly 30 megabytes where a jpg could be less than a megabyte for the same photo. Today memory really is cheap. Putting a 64 gigabyte card in a camera is still much less than the cost of a two-tank dive charter.

I'm new in diving and underwater photography, but I'm not that new in photography. I always shoot in RAW and for underwater photography I found that it almost impossible to use camera JPG output. I've only used the RX100ii (and a Gopro) for underwater photography so cannot tell what the JPG output from other camera will look like.

Also, the amount of work you do for RAW post pro in uw photography is much extensive than conventional photography. So for me is much more than 5 minutes for post processing :)

Bellow pic show the before and after in LR5. Amazing how much you can take out from the RAW compare to the JPG image that the camera produce for you.

https://flic.kr/p/mQSugA

So yes, if you use RX100ii JPG output based on its own WB, the picture is suck.. :)

My 2 cents...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom