Sony RX100II WB sucks underwater !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inon even produces blue diffusers to compensate for too much red in Canon JPEG. Regardless you need the tool for the job, the RX100 is an advanced camera is not for beginner and people that do not want to endure post processing.
There are other cameras in that segments like the Olympus TG-2 or the Lumix FT5 or similar.
Really a Nauticam housing and an RX100 are an overkill to take Jpegs I hope this was not pushed by a shot onto the op as that would be a crime

First of all, let me thank you for all the responses.

Then let me say, I very rarely visit forums as I usualy find better and unbiased advise suiting my needs anywhere else. The reason for my post was just sheer desperation.

Let me make this clear: I do not seek comfort or want anybody to "like" anything I do in the way of taking pictures. The posted pictures were meant solely for illustrating purpose. So I DO like the look I get with my Canons and to me, that it all that matters to me. If it happens to please somebody else, so be it, but I really don´t care, if it doesn´t. I don´t need anybody to agree with that.

I was hoping, somebody might strive for a similar look and could simply tell me "Dumbo, just do this". I know, that was a long shot, since I do this for quite some time now and I do know, how to drive a camera to give me the look I want (believe it or not). And on land, The Sony gives me a look I do like, so I was frustrated not getting the desired results underwater. However, I also do not claim to be perfect. So since I have exhausted all the means I know to drive a camera without reaching my goal on the Sony, I turned to this forum in the desperate seek for help.
From the responses I got so far, I think, I have found my answers. Which is what I already suspected: I can not get the same look I want (and I get from my Canons) from the Sony.

And maybe, just maybe, I wanted to see, if despite many people touting this Sony as the best thing since sliced bread to come out and just admit, that it might not be that great at all for certain tasks of taking pictures underwater :)

So for anybody out there who looks for a similar look as I do, please be advised, that in my humble private opinion the Sony might not be the tool to achieve that, so save yourself the money and spend it on some more dives instead.

So I thank everybody again and will refrain from seeking further help in this matter.

I agree with you.

If you want a camera to shoot j-pegs only and have decent underwater wb for clear water then the canon s- series is a good one. I also like the S series because it shoots raw and manual so you can start to progress into more advanced shooting.

FOr me the Rx100 does what I need without having to shell out for a dslr housing for my dslr.

@Scubamarketing (and all): Was thinking of dumping or selling the rig. But The Sony gives me to much good results I like on land without carrying some big chunk of DSLR on my travels and with no post twiddling, so I will try with a HW filter and decide later.

@Scubamarketing (and all): Was thinking of dumping or selling the rig. But The Sony gives me to much good results I like on land without carrying some big chunk of DSLR on my travels and with no post twiddling, so I will try with a HW filter and decide later.

Good decision. Now I want to report a quote from Martin Edge from a recent talk at London Dive Show

Question from the audience: what about white balancing, you never mention it?
Answer from Martin: white balance is overrated, traditionally it was a way for shop to sell a compact in a housing and get you started without a strobe. But unfortunately you need one. Shot in raw at all times.

Looks to me that there is nothing wrong with the camera. If shooting in auto mode then learn to shoot in manual and get yourself a external strobe. That will bring out the color that you want and have the most impact to the viewer. A filter may improve image / contrast if you do not get a strobe but that is not the best solution to the problem.

With pics, in my opinion, it´s of course all in the eye of the beholder. However, for some people (including me), WB is one of the most important things a camera or film can do for me. All other variables aside, I have to look at specs and my tool to give me the ability to tweak it in the ways I want. My frustration stems from the (in my opinion) fact, that Sony does render colors in a way, that I can achieve (to me) similar pleasing results in JPEG on land with the almost same settings than I would do on a Canon, but gives totally different results underwater. Yes, I could try raw (been there, done that and do know how), but for my purpose and with experience I have with Canon, I have decided for me "Why bother". At the end, convenience wins for me.

And I also know, good light can not be replaced. Except with better light. But except you take it all the way to professional levels (i.e. Cousteaus light rigs where quite impressive) I tend not to bother, since this is what I would need for my kind of shooting. A strobe, (again in my opinion) only reaches so far and wide. So if I compare a similar ambient shallow lit scene taken with a Canon and a Sony, the Canon wins for me. I will post my experience than (can take a while, since I´m a whimp and diving season for me is November - February) in warm areas.

Thanks again for all your responses.

So again, I will check, with a HW filter on my next dive, although I will also do what my divemaster (who favors the Canon rendering too) told me and take both cameras down with me :)

I don't get the whole "I am too lazy" to do any post-processing! If you use Lightroom, for example, you can batch post process tons of images in no time. Knowing how to use the available tools along with your camera is huge! You have to find a solid workflow.

So, not to pile on more drama, and forgive me if I missed it,
-are you using any strobes? It doesn't look like it.
-are you shooting manual? auto? something else? What are the settings for the above image?

Can you post a few more images, and possible from a hosting service like Flikr or something -- forum uploads degraded.

Here are some images I shot with my Rx100 in Bonaire - I am not a pro photographer or anything (and definitely have a lot to learn), but with strobes and wet lenses, my results are quite different from what you have posted. I have a 5min rule in photography: If an image needs more than 5min of post processing, I delete it and move on.

Bonaire Diving 2013 - a set on Flickr

Here are a couple galleries which are even better, also taken with a Sony Rx100 (not shot by me):

Critters @ Lembeh September 2013 - a set on Flickr

Inon SuperMacro Shoot Out 2013 - a set on Flickr

Your camera is more than capable. The question is this: are you willing to work to elevate your skills to match it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom