Sorb getting hard to find in USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought rebreathers were a logistical panacea compared to open circuit? :cool:

I thought rebreathers were a logistical panacea compared to open circuit? :cool:
In many places it is. Typically on the boat and in the water. The behind the scenes side has always been an issue. Getting sorb is generally the biggest issue I have had. It is a heavy consumable.

Don't forget there there have been supply issues with simple dive stuff as well. Scuba tanks are hard to get and there was (maybe still is?) a shortage of neoprene.

In many places it is. Typically on the boat and in the water. The behind the scenes side has always been an issue. Getting sorb is generally the biggest issue I have had. It is a heavy consumable.

Don't forget there there have been supply issues with simple dive stuff as well. Scuba tanks are hard to get and there was (maybe still is?) a shortage of neoprene.
Shearwater had a shortage of Perdix and Peregrine screens. All sorts of components for various things are in short supply. My CCR order is taking 5 months (lots of orders but still there are shortages).

It's the factory (maker of sofnolime) that has now upped the prices. Got few weeks ago info from supplier that bulk price is going up. It's bit on flux now but somewhere between 20%-200% price increase. I am stocking for 5 years now.

Shearwater had a shortage of Perdix and Peregrine screens. All sorts of components for various things are in short supply. My CCR order is taking 5 months (lots of orders but still there are shortages).
That’s five months to appreciate open circuit warm water SE Florida drift diving. You already have a wetsuit!

That’s five months to appreciate open circuit warm water SE Florida drift diving. You already have a wetsuit!
FL salt water diving? 🙄🤦‍♀️ It’s shipping Sept 16. I’ve been enjoying Midwestern cold(er) water diving! 🤣😂

Tanks are used by OC and CCR (so a problem for both)... they're also not something you buy often and are easy to rent. Shortages with consumables is a problem though.

I guess it goes to show, there's no panacea... everything has tradeoffs.

FL salt water diving? 🙄🤦‍♀️ It’s shipping Sept 16. I’ve been enjoying Midwestern cold(er) water diving! 🤣😂

But that's still 2 months you can be diving in our salt-water spas... :wink: :)

Sorb is mostly logistics. COVID-related transportation issues that are still in place.

I had issues with sourcing 72cft tank; other than that all is readily available. Ditto for O2 cells.

Oxygen was an issue around that cell time as well.

Yup, can confirm. Last summer was a tough time for getting oxygen in any quantities.

Back
Top Bottom