Sorry but APEKS XTX50 or Atomic Z3??? Help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but just need some more info before I commit to my first regulator. After reviewing the forums and online reviews, I am undecided on which regulators to purchase.
I narrowed it down to either:

1) 2 Apeks XTX 50 where I use the other XTX 50 as as octo
or
2) Atomic Z3 with Z2 octo

I plan to dive off California and will be travelling to the Philippines to do the Anilao dive trip in PG.

I like that the XTX50 is described as rugged and preferred by Tec divers. But most reviews I read said that the Z3's has the best work of breathing. As a new diver, which should be more beneficial for me? Could I get some advise from users of these two regulators?

Thanks in advance

both will work well enough for single tank. wob difference between atomic and apeks is not that significant when tuned appropriately.

1-Apeks is fully sealed without paying for goop to be packed in there, that's a no brainer for salty stuff since you don't have to be as diligent about soaking and flushing

2-Atomics WoB is fantastic, but the Apeks is no slouch, you are not a calibrated ANSTI breathing machine, and unless you are one, or are a diver that is regularly analyzing different regulators side by side, you won't be able to tell a difference.

Most important thing. Atomic is now owned by Huish and based on that alone I would not recommend you purchase from that brand because of a myriad of reasons.

If you get the XTX50, get the DST first stage, not the DS4. It's a bit bigger, but has 2x HP ports if that matters for you if you go to WAI, and has the swivel port which makes hose routing a bit better

If you dived in the north west of England, you would see approx 90% of divers use XTX50 ( as the Apeks factory is here..)

We all use DST first stage, XTX50 for primary reg ( adjustable venturi for WOB) and the (slightly) cheaper XTX40 as an octo.

Absolutely bomb proof, I have several sets for all my different configurations.

Good for beginners all the way to tech diving...

@beerchipsgravy I disagree with the XTX40 as the octo though and would argue that the adjustment knob is more important on a secondary than it is on the primary

Im not sure we aren't talking at crossed purposes here. there is no adjustment on a DST first stage.

DST = first stage
XTX50 second stage with WOB adustment
XTX40 second stage with no adjustment

agreed that adjustment is good on second stage, but you dont need it when you have run out if your own air and are sharing your buddies en route to the surface...

Im not sure we aren't talking at crossed purposes here. there is no adjustment on a DST first stage.

DST = first stage
XTX50 second stage with WOB adustment
XTX40 second stage with no adjustment

agreed that adjustment is good on second stage, but you dont need it when you have run out if your own air and are sharing your buddies en route to the surface...

not talking about the DST. Was talking about if I had one XTX50 and one XTX40, the 50 would be around my neck and detuned to minimize freeflow risk. The non-adjustable 40 would be in my mouth and tuned for optimal breathing so I could share it with an OOA diver and then grab the 50 for me. When the situation stabilizes, I can adjust it up. If the 40 is tuned for secondary use and you switch to it for any length of time it may not work well and if you subscribe to the BSAC nonsense of secondary take or the industry norm of secondary donate, then now a potentially panicked diver doesn't have the best breathing regulator in their mouth which is not ideal.

Now i get you. But as we all know, regardless of primary/ secondary /donate or whatever, a panicked diver will probably pull the one out of your mouth regardless..!

If Im being honest, i have 2 XTX50's so i cant call anybody...

Thank you All! I've been leaning more towards the XTX50's initially and the great info provided helped a ton!
I'll go with 2 - XTX 50, and get it with DST in case I will need the extra port in the future.

Now i get you. But as we all know, regardless of primary/ secondary /donate or whatever, a panicked diver will probably pull the one out of your mouth regardless..
This myth continues to be repeated. Read the incident reports, OOG divers do what they were trained to do.

One reason I no longer ask students to substitute another word for “help” during rescue training. Real incidents have been missed because the rescuer was shouting the training word.

Back
Top Bottom