Sort live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in Bali soon have some dives planned plus AOW. Still have week of activities to plan. I want to do some big live aboard trips to GBR and Komodo latter this year but want to get a feel for it before I spend the big bucks. I get mildly sea sick but one kwells in the morning is enough to keep it a bay so want to try 2 or 3 day trip are there any recommendations out of Bali for a short trip.

There isn't any short liveaboards in the Bali region. All diving from Bali is done as shore or dayboats.

There are liveaboards that begin and/or finish from Bali.. but they don't really dive the Bali area and is usually at least a week (and expensive)

That's what I suspected might look at other SEA locations for my next trip. Cost isn't really a big issue just don't want my first live aboard to be a wasted week of not being able to sleep, throwing up and getting much diving as a result so looking for something to dip my toes in first.

You can do a pretty cheap 3 day liveaboard from Cairns. Seas quite calm. Easy diving
Similan and Richelieu for a 4 day liveaboard.. tougher diving conditions. Probably rougher seas on the boat as well.
Komodo you can do pretty decently from landbased.. and liveaboard costs a lot more so not sure it's worthwhile.

I suffer terribly from seasickness, but found that taking travel sickness tablets regularly for the first few days keeps ontop of it until I get those sea legs. We have done liveaboards in several countries and the Indonesian trips are the best of the best. Mermaid do Bali to Komodo return which is fabulous. There are also return trips from Labuan Banjo and of course the best of all is a Raja Ampat liveaboard. There is very little sailing at night and certainly not all night so you should be fine.

I suffer terribly from seasickness, but found that taking travel sickness tablets regularly for the first few days keeps ontop of it until I get those sea legs. We have done liveaboards in several countries and the Indonesian trips are the best of the best. Mermaid do Bali to Komodo return which is fabulous. There are also return trips from Labuan Banjo and of course the best of all is a Raja Ampat liveaboard. There is very little sailing at night and certainly not all night so you should be fine.

I think we went pretty much all the first night to get from SoWrong to Misool. Or maybe it was to get from Misool back up to the Northern part of RA. I do remember all one night.

- Bill

I'd probably wait a bit longer and get more dives before Komodo. It's a great place for diving but it's also known for unforgiving currents. Understand some ops may cater less experienced divers by taking them to easier sites, but I'd want to make the most of the trip if I go all the way to Komodo.

My two cents.

I will be waiting for a bit more experience before Komodo. Bali is the closest good diving to me I've booked a nitrox AOW + 4 extra dives so far. Looking at spending a few days on the Gili's but a short easy LOB just to see what it's like before I book a longer trip otherwise I hang out around tulemben for the rest of this trip and look at somewhere else in SEA for next holiday in August

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom