Sotis vs. IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody actually verify what Stewart's cert level was? I only ask because IANTD Normoxic Trimix certifies to 200', there is also a "plus" rating that certifies to 233'. Does any of the "Diving one level up" because your "with" an instructor apply? Just trying to figure out what Sotis' angle here is.

Does that apply to charges that were laid while you were a captain, or would it include discovery of previous criminal activity before getting your captain's license?
Both. I had a Captain get a license with 3 DUIs including a felony DUI, but they were many years ago, over 10. If you get a DUI while a Captain, (remember, you have to renew, and they do a background check every 5 years) they will suspend your license for 5 years.

Anybody actually verify what Stewart's cert level was? I only ask because IANTD Normoxic Trimix certifies to 200', there is also a "plus" rating that certifies to 233'. Does any of the "Diving one level up" because your "with" an instructor apply? Just trying to figure out what Sotis' angle here is.
Additionally, do we know if Stewart was packing IANTD cards, or was he flashing the special Add Helium cards? And to what depth do Mod 2 Add Helium cards work?

Regardless, the story is that he was diving 10/50. That isn't Mod 2 by anyone's standards.

Does that apply to charges that were laid while you were a captain, or would it include discovery of previous criminal activity before getting your captain's license?
any of the DOT regulated things like boat captain, CDL, Pilots/mechanics for planes you have to disclose any convictions upon application. They may say no or they may say yes, then while so licensed if you do more bad stuff you can and should expect to find them not so forgiving.

@Jack Hammer and @Wookie

Sotis was Stewards instructor. In the incident report and the lawsuit it is indicated that Stewart was certified as IANTD CCR Normoxic Trimix Diver

As an ITT for IANTD, and the certifying instructor for that diver, one would assume Sotis knew what his cert level was...

@Jack Hammer and @Wookie

Sotis was Stewards instructor. In the incident report and the lawsuit it is indicated that Stewart was certified as IANTD CCR Normoxic Trimix Diver

As an ITT for IANTD, and the certifying instructor for that diver, one would assume Sotis knew what his cert level was...
Thank you for stating the obvious. :)

The report says "CCR Normoxic diver" with the option box checked for "other". I'm reasonably certain Sotis knows what Stewart's cert level was. I'm not as certain we actually do. I'm curious If he had a plus rating or was allowed to go a level up because of his instructors presence. I have no clue to either other than a checked box and Sotis seemingly ok with the depths that are out of one cert range while within the other. It's relevant because it would directly affect standards violations.

So, back to my original question...

Thanks

@Jack Hammer it did answer your original question. In the lawsuit it states that Steward was and I quote "IANTD CCR Normoxic Trimix Diver" which means that Sotis confirmed that that was his certification.
The "other" box that you mention is to define the type of dive, nothing to do with his certification level. I.e. was it a training dive, on. if it happened on the previous dive it would have to be checked "under supervision" since it was neither of those, it was checked other. Completely irrelevant to his certification level

@Jack Hammer it did answer your original question. In the lawsuit it states that Steward was and I quote "IANTD CCR Normoxic Trimix Diver" which means that Sotis confirmed that that was his certification.
The "other" box that you mention is to define the type of dive, nothing to do with his certification level. I.e. was it a training dive, on. if it happened on the previous dive it would have to be checked "under supervision" since it was neither of those, it was checked other. Completely irrelevant to his certification level
the accident report also asks for all dives in the 24 hours prior, yet only the dives of the day of the accident were listed. yet it was their second day of diving

I am also a bit confused regards all the assertions in the immediate aftermath of the incident where people made affirmative statements that Rob was certified for the dive peior to the trip in question, that now no longer seems the case

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom