Source for pre-lake maps of Lanier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How far of a drive is the lake from North Alabama? I am always looking for something new to dive.

It is about a 4 or 5 hour drive from Huntsville.

I dove up there in early summer,near the rowing venue and the visibility was awful,think gauges to the mask bad. Im not sure if it is better now but it probably is with the small amount of water flowing into the lake.I know one way to find out,just jump in and look,i wonder if there are any boat ramps still open up that way.

I think so...isn't that the area near the Trotters old place gas station, where you can see the island and the lone tree sticking up from the lake? Oh, and the old road that runs right into the lake? I've been there a few times recently, kicking around the old foundations.(not literally) I keep hoping more will be exposed with the dropping lake levels. My map has 10 dots=10 structures. I don't know exactly what qualifies as a structure, an actual foundation or a clump of bricks! If we are speaking of the same area, I was told the island was the former location of a cemetary and possibly a trading post? but I may just be spreading rumors. I took some photographs on Sunday and will post them if anyones interested.

Yes that is the spot Im talking about. I know for a fact that there's at least a service station sign there Im not sure if the actual structure is there but the sign is cleary visible on a depth finder. I've also removed a few chimneys from that area while I was working for the Corps. I know of a few other spots around the lake if your interested just let me know. Post up those pics from sunday Im interested in seeing them!

I dove up there in early summer,near the rowing venue and the visibility was awful,think gauges to the mask bad. Im not sure if it is better now but it probably is with the small amount of water flowing into the lake.I know one way to find out,just jump in and look,i wonder if there are any boat ramps still open up that way.

That's why I was originally so shocked to hear ya'll dove in Lanier, living up here on the north end of the lake, the visibility always seems bad, worse than the southern end. Most of the smaller boat ramps are closed, but the one off from Clarks Bridge, (the Olympic Rowing Venue site) is still open. If you put your boat in there, you'd be really close to the Racetrack location, it's literally just around the bend. I'm available for guide services since I can't be any help in the diving department. If you can't tell, I'm just really curious what may be down there!

Yes that is the spot Im talking about. I know for a fact that there's at least a service station sign there Im not sure if the actual structure is there but the sign is cleary visible on a depth finder. I've also removed a few chimneys from that area while I was working for the Corps. I know of a few other spots around the lake if your interested just let me know. Post up those pics from sunday Im interested in seeing them!

Will post pics as soon as camera is returned (being borrowed). So what do we have to do to get you to divuldge your secrets? Where are some other areas of the lake to explore ruins, either above or below the water? I've been thinking...Gainesville used to be a resort town around the turn of the century famous for its natural springs. I wonder if there's anything left of those structures deep down. Now wouldn't that be cool...if I could only find some time to go do some research at ye ole locale library...

Anyone making another assult on the elusive racetrack tomorrow? just wondering...

maybe next week,i would like to check that area out,the visability is as good as it will probably get with the lack of rain lately,need to hit it before the rain comes back.

Back
Top Bottom