Southeast Florida & Key Largo lobster reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few of my diving buddies & I were discussing lobster catching yesterday. Which made us wonder how the season is going so far.

Here is what I can say. Mini season excellent in south fl. Limit was achieved quickly.

Key largo good too but lots of shorts now.

Yesterday a short dive resulted in one bug (SE Florida ...65 ft).

By the way not looking for or suggesting anything specific about locations.

What was the ratio of dead lobster to dead divers?

Hey guys, I recently got my lobster licence and fishing licence. Also got a net and tickle stick. I really don't know where to go. If anyone wants to take me on a trip lobstering, I'm game. I'm enormously entertaining, promise. :D

What was the ratio of dead lobster to dead divers?

A sad statement; but unfortunately very, very, true statement as well.

Even more sad... this year it was one of our good friends, best friend, that lost her son right off our shore. And he was a young athlete.

Bugs are fun to catch... but certainly not worth your life.

I went out of Hillsboro Inlet yesterday on my regular "Six-Pack" and we went south.
5 divers.
We found lots of good sized bugs in the 50'-80' range.
No eggers this trip.
No shorts.
We also picked up a few biggies.
I saw the biggest Green Turtle I have EVER seen, laying calmly on the bottom in 80'.
Viz was 30'-40' on the first tank, and greatly improved on the 2nd dive.
Hard west wind and calm seas.
Only a few Lions, as it appears the commercial hunters are slaying them by the hundreds and hundreds now on a daily basis.
I am hearing they are getting between $4 and $7 a pond on the little bastages these days.

Chug
Still watching the commercial and not commercial bug folks very closely.

Last edited:
I went out this past Saturday morning, off West Palm Beach.

It was about 60-65 degrees in the morning but the water was a warm 78 degrees. Viz wasn't the greatest but it was still probably about 30-40ish.

Overall we caught 6 lobsters on two dives, and speared three hogfish. We were only in 55-65 feet of water.

This was one of the better hunts in the past few weeks.

Went out twice this weekend, both times south of the Palm Beach Inlet.

First dive was Saturday afternoon.

We got 9 bugs on 2 dives, 5 of which were in the same hole and all legal. No luck on the spearfishing side.
Water was about 77 degrees and we were in 65-85 feet of water.

Sunday was a very slow day. There was a slow mist coming down all morning but the water was very flat. It was actually pretty nice given the rain.
We only got 3 bugs which were legal. I must've thrown back about 6 or 7 that were too small. Once again we got skunked spearfishing.
Water was 79 degrees and we were in about 65-85 feet of water.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2014 at 01:34 PM ----------

I guess it depends on where you go. We continue to do pretty well out of Islamarada. We were done by 2pm. It always helps to have a couple dive and fish crazy 21 year olds on the boat.

I got two as did my buddy while out with Jupiter Dive Center yesterday. Two legal sized ones got away as well and we fished out a handful of almost legal sized bugs which we released: lots of obvious shorts too.

Great day for diving: almost no current but 80+ feet of visibility, top side conditions were also nice for this time of year. Perfect conditions for bug hunting. Also saw several green, hawksbill and loggerhead turtle (all very far from the main ledges), a couple of reef sharks, couple of goliath grouper, a purple mouth eel and a goldentail eel. Fun dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom