Southern Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Planning another winter in the tropics diving and relaxing!! Stopping in
St. Vincent, Grenada and Tobago (also Isla Margaritta, Surinam). Any must
dive sites (I've done over 500 dives around the world) and good, cheap
places to hang out (on a 5 month trip I need some budget accomodation).
airline specials, etc?? Thanks

Young Island resort, just off St. Vincent, is a great place (although not in the budget categfory). The diving off St. Vincent is the best of all the places you mentioned.

Is the diving better at Young Island or Kingstown Bay at Rosewood Apt. Hotel diving with Dive St. Vincent?

Bequia is in the Grenadines and a short trip from St Vincent. I enjoyed the diving there with Dive Bequia and there are budget accommodations on the island, depending on if you want to be in town or on the beach. I stayed at Smitty's Apartments, located above the owners of Keegan's (reserve by contacting Keegan's) which is right on Lower Bay Beach.

The Rosewood Apts in St. Vincent are inexpensive, and offer self catering accommodation with great views (and within walking distance) of Villa beach and Young Island, you might consider the Beachcombers Hotel which is right on the beach, they offer a variety of hotel rooms from budget through to luxury. The Young Island Resort might be a little pricy if you are on a budget.

Dive St. Vincent is located in Villa at the Young Island Dock. There are a variety of other accommodation options, most of which will require transportation to get you to a dive shop.

Indigo Dive is based on the leeward coast of St. Vincent, putting most of the leeward dive spots just a few minutes boat ride from the dive shop, but currently there are not any budget hotels or self catering apts within walking distance of the Buccament Bay Resort where the shop is located.

Dive sites that you should consider include:

Critter Corner (behind Young Island) - a muck divers macro heaven
Kingstown Wrecks
Kingstown Pier (no permits required, but if there is a cruise ship docked divers are not allowed)
The Bat Cave
Japanese Gardens (When there is a current this is a great drift dive)
Pretty Bay (Pristine soft coral forest)
Pinnicle
Tarpon Run
Anchor Reef

You'll find a number of videos to whet your appetite at Kay Wilson - YouTube

How did you travel to Bequia and what airlines did you take? Did you have to do an overnighter?

Would agree with Bryan, check out Carriacou. A small island at the southern end of the Grenadines, but part of Grenada as opposed to St Vincent. Travel there is not too bad from Barbados (via Union on SVG) and the dive operators will pick you up for the short hop and clearance between Union and Carriacou. The diving is relaxed with some amazing reefs and lots of marine life to see. The island/diving is about to be featured in the upcoming SCUBA magazine (out in August in the UK).

I wonder if Nemo made it. That was nearly 10 years ago. Some threads never die.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom