Southern Leyte accomodation and transportation from Cebu City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi fellow Philippine divers! I plan an early January trip to Southern Leyte likely diving at Sogod. I will be taking off from Cebu City. I lesrnedvthere are thrre ports to get there by ferry, Maasin, Bato, and Ormoc. Wich rout is is less a hassle? I looked at the ferry schedules, and they are a bit confusing.

Can you also share your experience with accomodation. My preferences are: a good dive shop, clean and comfortable enough that a girlfriend may also like, on the beach, and priced $50-60 or better less.

Any advice, suggestion, and word of wisdom are appreciated.

Take a look at the map and find which port is nearest to Sogod, we took the ferry from there but I cannot remember it , sorry. The ferries are absolutely fine , clean and comfy with toilets and a little snack bar. There are like the QE2 in comparison to ferries in Aftrica we took in our youth, so don’t hesitate to use them. There was or is a bus that connects to the resorts from the port , or the dive shop can pick you up. We stayed twice with Southern Leyte Divers which is beautiful , well organized , very clean and the bungalows are right on the water. Food can be dire in the Philippines , but it was great there. Leyte is brilliant for snorkeling and January is prime whaleshark spotting time. Peters dive resort is another option , but this backs onto a busy road. However it has a pool !

Hope this helps and best fishes x

I am mostly clear on the routes to Southern Leyte. None of these is perfect for my schedule but i will figure thi out. I would appreciate more opinions on dive operations and accomodations. Southern Leyte Divers sound good, but more choice is merrier:))
Cheers,

I took a ferry from Cebu to Maasin, 6am. Then 40 minutes by trike or jeepney to Peter's Resort. It's close to Southern Leyte Divers.
Peter's was really good and friendly.
Don't miss the night dive under the jetty.

You will absolutely want to come to Maasin, 30-40 minutes from the dive shops. The Weesam fast ferry leaves every morning 6 am from pier one, Cebu and arrives in Maasin right about 9:15 am, give or take 5 minutes. (Weesam is currently on a Sunday, Wednesday, Friday schedule, and has been for the past 2 months, but that is supposed to change back to daily next month.) You have good options to get to Padre Burgos from Maasin, including chartering your own jeepney, on the spot, for about 500 pesos. You can be checked in to your shop, fed, and diving by 11. The total voyage from Cebu to Burgos via Maasin takes about 4 hours. If you use Hilongos, the next closest port (Bato is 5 minutes closer than Hilongos but rarely used) you are looking at +/- 8. There's that, plus you will arrive either at dusk or the middle of the night. So it's a no brainer.
I prefer and always recommend Peter's, the food at Southern Leyte Divers notwithstanding. The ten foot wall at the back of the resort backs up to a Baranguay road, the other side of which are local dwellings, and then comes the national highway. You won't know it's there. The management and staff are top notch, truly nice people. They dive off of 2 boats in the high season, different sites, though one may be on a whale shark spotting trip. Their 2 primary dive masters have the best eyes in the business, if you're coming for the macro.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Peter's except being a regular customer. But I'm a regular because they earned it.
No matter where you decide to dive better get your emails out soon. Early January is prime time.
If you have any personal logistical questions feel free to pm.

As of October 1, Weesam Express is on a 5 day per week schedule, departing Cebu City at the usual 6 am Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, returning at 930 am and arriving Cebu right about 12.45.
As of now, there are no Tuesday/Thursday trips Cebu to Maasin, but Cokaliong ferries depart Monday and Wednesday early evening and arrive in Maasin at ungodly early morning hours Tuesday and Thursday. The Cokaliong leaves Maasin to Cebu 8 am Tuesday and Thursday, arriving 6+ hours later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom