sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryC,

I don't know about you, guy. Seems to me you have forgotten your limited budget. A very salty charger unit and then two strobes to boot. Bet your wife is about ready to---well, I'll leave that one alone.

I'm paying quite a bit of attention to the goings on here. I got the camera and now the housing PT-030, both at a good price I might add. $439 total so far. Now I'm looking at strobes and such, but just looking.

Like you I am on somewhat of a budget. Just got done paying for a trip to Cozumel in May and a downpayment to Bonaire in Sept. Now I gotta pay for my Cozumel trip the third week of June and Playa del Carmen the week after that.

Unfortunately I'll not get to use the camera underwater till May 6th. I guess that gives me plenty of time to play with it and continue looking at lighting setups. I, too, might opt for a used YS-120. Don't know yet.

The wife is starting to get a little miffed. What with me retired and doing nothing but playing and she working 12 hours a day----not good sometimes. Guess I'll just have to start doing more----playing.

This has been a good thread for me so far. Lots of good info coming in.

Yeah, I've gone a little overboard on my "cheap" set-up. But what the heck. I can get away with it because she just spent $3K on a dry suit and thermal wear for under it. On the plus side, the housing for the FL-20 finally got here yesterday and the thing works really nicely. For my $98 plus shipping, I got both the inner and ttl cords, which are like $125 by themselves if you buy a different brand. Unfortunately, since the slave is still on b/o and it's the one that came with the tray and arm, I either have to wait to use it or make a tray of my own. Again I'm eyeing Gilligan's set-up, as most of it can be had at the hardware store. It looks like I might need the Inon end for the loc-line though as the Oly flash housing has a similar mount. Oh well, what's another $20.00 and a couple of more weeks? Hope to have some strobe pics to post soon. Hopefully, this will cure my supermacro shadow issues and backscatter from the built-in flash.
Hmm. Big anniversary coming up. Coz, Bonaire did you say? We did Coz last year. It was awesome. Did a little boat all by ourselves and watched the Circus on the cattle boats while we had great dives, luckily halfway between the two hurricanes.

Musta been in Coz about the same time as me. I stayed at the Hotel Coz & Resort. Left two days before Dennis hit. I was there twice last year. Looks like it's twice again this year. And Bonaire in September. Belize in October. Then I'll settle down for a while. Looks like the Lancaster Scuba is making a trip to Bonaire in January---so guess what??

We did the Occidental Grand. Originally we were booked for the place next door, but it was one of those thatch roof jobs and everything got torn up. I hear that whole end of the Island in the resort area is pretty much trashed now. There was some damage to the shallower reefs and half the town blew away the second time. Hopefully they're recovering and getting some business. Nice place, nice people, nice diving. Weird to think of it without the statue by the plaza or the Cruise dock and Naval station.

Larry C:
. . . There was some damage to the shallower reefs and half the town blew away the second time. . .

My wife and I were there for Wilma (the Coral Princess). It was a HELL of a storm . . . simply amazing that there weren't more casualties. Anyway, with the exception of most of the telephone and power poles, San Miguel held together suprisingly well. Most of the damage was to the structures right on the water, especially south of the square. The boulevard south of the square, to where the Aquarious restaurant USE to be was closed off by the military to even foot traffic. I read somewhere that 60"of rain fell! It lasted for three days. - Roy

My view of the SP-350- First dive you have to have a WA for this camera/housing period. When you shoot a photo the screen goes blue with the word busy showing- want to see the photo you shot press a button then press the same button to get back to the view screen, I hated that. Second dive I flooded the housing my fault that damm lens cap cord in the bottom corner fell over the oring I caught it at 40ft to late- camera is in a trash can in Coz. But I saved the xd card and photos I had shot on the first dive and downloaded in the puter. You know I like my 5050Z better even thou I only made one dive with the sp-350. I really do not think i will replace it unless the price plummets allot.I hate it that it was totally my fault it flooded, live and learn and open up the ck book.

Larry C:
Yeah, I've gone a little overboard on my "cheap" set-up. But what the heck. I can get away with it because she just spent $3K on a dry suit and thermal wear for under it. On the plus side, the housing for the FL-20 finally got here yesterday and the thing works really nicely. For my $98 plus shipping, I got both the inner and ttl cords, which are like $125 by themselves if you buy a different brand. ....

So Larry if you don't mind me asking what's your rig up to now?

SP-350- $___
Housing- $___
Strobe
Ect

Oh Boy, here we go!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta see this.

Camera-Original non-rebate $359 @ costo (worth the $50 xtra due to 100% return policy-cheap flood insurance)
Case-$199 @ Helix camera
Both of those were my Xmas present.
Green algae UR-Pro filter, my only regret as I doubt I'll use it again although I may retry it with manual WB-$69
Oly Flash: $129 from Helix-worth it for the TTL and topside usefulness
Oly Housing: It comes with the TTL cord included! $98 from ebay Oly auctions. A steal.
Sunpak Flash complete with tray and arm: $180 and STILL NOT HERE!!!
Loc-line sections and fittings: $25 + freight
r-CRV-3 & charger $59 @ radioshack.Overpriced, but has worked great.
1G memory $69 @ Fry's oupost.com/1G memory on sale at Fry's store $49 Now I can do three dives without going home to download. Need one more for a two day dive.
Total: $1247 if I can add.
Eight diving trips worth of pictures that I could only describe previously:priceless
Big question: Can you match this price with a package set-up with quality strobe and arms, as in Ikelite, Reefphoto, backscatter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom