sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got two 512mb M's and two 1gb H's...I believe I used the 1gb H's underwater, but I'm not positive.

Well I blew the dust off my camera and used it quite a bit the last week, did alot of playing around with manual settings. Here are pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shark.byte.usa/OrangeCountyCAShoreDives

My question is, I can't get the camera to focus on small things like close up shots of nudibranchs. this is about as close as I can get, any closer and they all come out really blurry. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

-Garrett

Are you using the super macro setting?

Super macro helps with anything closer than one foot. Try adjusting your focus from multipoint to spot focus. Higher f-stops will get you a deeper focal range. The biggest problem is focus close up in low light conditions. A spotting light helps. Another thing you can do is focus on something bigger the same distance as your subject. Hold the button halfway down for focus, then move back to your subject. Nice pics, BTW. Lately, for really close shots in poor light, I've adjusted one of my MyModes to a super macro setting. I use F8 @1/125 and manual focus, then I take 3 or 4 shots of the subject (framing) from slightly different distances. Start where I think 2 inches is, then move back 1/4", 1/2", etc. I also adjust my strobes between shots depending on what I see on the previous pic.

Larry how do you have the time to actually take the time to focus and change your settings. I have found (and this is my biggest problem), all I have time to do is shoot and run or everyone is gone or I don't want to hang my buddy up if I actually have one.

LindaBluedolphin:
Larry how do you have the time to actually take the time to focus and change your settings. I have found (and this is my biggest problem), all I have time to do is shoot and run or everyone is gone or I don't want to hang my buddy up if I actually have one.

Linda
The best way is to get a dedicated dive buddy. It is not practicle to dive as part of a group and take photos.
Last time I tried I had to abort 2 dives because the group had shot off and I was left searching for 1 minute then off to the surface as per the briefing.

I know it is more money but book a dedicated DM for your photo dives, they can do the spotting for you, they wait while you take your photograph. If you are shooting macro you can do the whole dive in 50 square feet. Their air consumption is great so you, not the clock, are the limiting factor on the length of your dive.

They also know where some great fish hangout.

Otherwise you just have to accept the fact that you are diving solo. Get training, gear accordingly, face down the dive operators who don't like solo divers.
Solo is not the best option but sometime I suspect it is the only option.

victor:
Linda
The best way is to get a dedicated dive buddy. It is not practicle to dive as part of a group and take photos.
Lats time I tried I had to abort 2 dives because the group had shot off and I was left searching for 1 minute then off to the surface as per the briefing.

I know it is more money but book a dedicated DM for your photo dives, they can do the spotting for you, they wait while you take your photograph. If you are shooting macro you can do the whole dive in 50 square feet. Their air consumption is great so you, not the clock, are the limiting factor on the length of your dive.

Otherwise you just have to accept the fact that you are diving solo. Get training, gear accordingly, face down the dive operators who don't like solo divers.
Solo is not the best option but sometime I suspect it is the only option.

If only it were so simple, but sadly it's not.

Linda, Victor is somewhat right about the dedicated dive buddy. My permanent dive buddy (wife) usually is pretty good about keeping me behind her, but we occasionally get separated. Last week was the first time we ever had to meet at the surface, but that was because the vis sucked so bad you couldn't see the end of the next rock. Usually, I just look for her bubbles around the corner. Mainly though, you just need to be really comfortable with the camera and know your focal distance. I have my four MyModes set up, so that I can swap them in about 10 seconds. The "custom button" rocks for making it an easy swap. You can set the mode you use the most on the easiest button to get to. Changing the f-stop or shutter speed only requires an up/down or left right toggle. If you're using manual focus, you've got the distance set already so you just put the camera close to that distance. With manual focus, there's no waiting for the camera, so you just point and click, and wait the seven seconds for the RAW to write while you're positioning the strobe for your next shot. While it's writing, you can see the last picture on the screen, so you know what to do with your strobe and distance. Sometimes, you just get a blurry shot, but I can take three in thirty seconds and then move on and catch my buddy and look for the next shot. When Carol's not there, I've dived with other parking lot buddies and former students. So far, I've never had a problem with shooting and staying with them. If anything, Carol is a lot more impatient and likes to bounce from reef to reef. Just practice, practice, practice shooting and adjusting to shoot again. It becomes pretty much second nature after a while. One thing I've found is that because I take very similar shots most of the time, I can adjust my "MyModes" to suit them. Then I don't have to think much, just point and click. If you have two or three stock shots, e.g. a fish from 14", a nudie or little crab from 6", you can preset your camera and lighting for the picture you're most likely to take.

Back
Top Bottom