SP mk10-opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldstroke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for opinions on the SP mk10 concerning performance, durability, reliability, and ease of service. Do not have a local LDS for service and have to learn quickly.

well I have a mk 5 and a mk 25 (essentialy scubapro started this line with the mk5 and then improved the design to the mk 10, mk15, mk20, mk 25 etc.) This entire line consists of balanced piston regulators and preform to very high standards. I wouuld have no problem diving wiht a mk 10 now as I currently often use a mk 5. I am qualified as a tech by scubapro so i might be a little biased, however i became a tech because I have a lot of regs, all scubapro. You might also try to get the original second stage that came with this reg it should be the 109 balanced adjustable. Its a metal, balanced second stage and could be one of the best regs ever made.

The Mk 10 is to scuba regulators what the AK-47 is to military assault rifles.

It is simple, reliable, easy to service, very durable, and offers enough performance for basically any diving need. It is also very prolific and relatively inexpensive to obtain on the used market ($100 freshly serviced is a reasonable price).

Parts are readily available and it can be serviced with little more than a multi-wrench, a first stage wrench (or in a pinch a used threaded CO2 cartridge), a yoke nut socket, a piston bullet and a set of o-ring picks.

In my opinon reg design peaked with the Mk 10 D400 and Mk 10 Balanced Adjustable (R156) designs in the mid 1980's and has actually declined somewhat since with the almost universal move to plastic second stages and plastic air barrels due to the reduced durability of the plastic case and the dry mouth associated with the plastic case and air barrel. First stage flow rates have increased in some cases over the last 20 years, but the extra flow rate is overkill. Some current first stages are now dry sealed which is very nice, but the later production MK 10 with its SPEC boot was very reliable in cold water and only slightly more inconvenient to service.

This may sound like a dumb question, but were MK10s originally sold with the metal yoke screw or the plastic knob, or were there some of each?

It has been said that the designers of the mk10 are the current Atomic designers.

Damselfish:
I've been using my MK10 for 17 years.

....got mine about the same time, ?88 or 89 & love it-- have a G200 on the end from the same time......

DA Aquamaster:
The Mk 10 is to scuba regulators what the AK-47 is to military assault rifles.

Not to sure if thats your best analogy DA.
How many people have been killed by AK47s?

MK10s are great. I have one (just sold the other) and only prefer my MK20/MK25's because they are DIN.

Some might argue your statement that SP "improved the design" with the Mk15, 20, and 25. Sucessive models offered slightly better performance, at best, at the cost of greater complexity and more complicated servicing.

BTW, the 109 1st is really more contemporaty with the MkV than the 10. I suspect most Mk10s were sold with a G250 than a 109. though either would be a find choice to go with it.

scubawally:
well I have a mk 5 and a mk 25 (essentialy scubapro started this line with the mk5 and then improved the design to the mk 10, mk15, mk20, mk 25 etc.) This entire line consists of balanced piston regulators and preform to very high standards. I wouuld have no problem diving wiht a mk 10 now as I currently often use a mk 5. I am qualified as a tech by scubapro so i might be a little biased, however i became a tech because I have a lot of regs, all scubapro. You might also try to get the original second stage that came with this reg it should be the 109 balanced adjustable. Its a metal, balanced second stage and could be one of the best regs ever made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom