SP MK25 question.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oleras

Reaction score
Howdy folks, quick question....is this reg, scubapro Mk25 S550 with an A clamp(yoke) compatible with 300bar tanks ?

Thanks in advance for the speedy replies......... :wink:

If I understand you correctly. A "300 bar Tank" would be a DIN fitting? A clamp style or yoke will not fit on a DIN But a DIN can convert to a yoke. The MK25 can be converted over with parts from Scubapro from yoke to DIN. I hope this answers your question.

Dive Safe, Butch :06:

oleras:
Howdy folks, quick question....is this reg, scubapro Mk25 S550 with an A clamp(yoke) compatible with 300bar tanks ?

Thanks in advance for the speedy replies......... :wink:

No, it is not. The yoke fitting should not be used above its rated pressure. This is found on the side of the yoke. Many modern yokes are designed for a maximum pressure of around 230bar. If you are using the standard 300bar DIN valve that this type of tank calls for, then a yoke won't fit the valve anyway. I suggest that you have a DIN fitting installed and carry a yoke adapter for those times when you use a lower pressure cylinder that has a yoke valve.

Greg

If I read Outlaws post correctly... I think he was trying to say that a MK25 yoke style 1st stage could be changed to DIN style with a SP DIN 300 conversion kit. Once converted the DIN regulator could also be used on yoke style valves with a simple screw-on yoke adapter. I converted all of our (family) MK25s to DIN and have a DIN-to-yoke adapter for each regulator, for use on rental tanks, when traveling. We own PST E7 100 steel tanks, with the yoke inserts removed. I don't trust the o-ring on a yoke to hold at 3442 PSI (or higher) hence the reason for the switch-over.

Yep, thats what I meant just didn't say it as eloquently(sp) as you.
Dive Safe, Butch :dazzler1:

wmspdi:
If I read Outlaws post correctly... I think he was trying to say that a MK25 yoke style 1st stage could be changed to DIN style with a SP DIN 300 conversion kit. Once converted the DIN regulator could also be used on yoke style valves with a simple screw-on yoke adapter. I converted all of our (family) MK25s to DIN and have a DIN-to-yoke adapter for each regulator, for use on rental tanks, when traveling. We own PST E7 100 steel tanks, with the yoke inserts removed. I don't trust the o-ring on a yoke to hold at 3442 PSI (or higher) hence the reason for the switch-over.

Thanks for the fast replies, just the info i needed.....by the way, how much would a conversion kit cost and where could i get one online ?
Thanks again !!

A Mk 15, Mk20 or MK 25 can be used at pressures up to 300 bar with the DIN kit installed.

DA Aquamaster:
A Mk 15, Mk20 or MK 25 can be used at pressures up to 300 bar with the DIN kit installed.

DA, I've never worked with a ScubaPro reg at 300bar pressures. In your experience, do the HP seats seem to hold up well at this level of pressure? One of the WKPP divers that I know got away from the MK20 due to his experience with a number of seat failures. I've been using Mares regs for many years, and recently purchased an Apeks for those dives calling for pressures in excess of 3,500psi. The Mares seats generally experience a shorter life when the pressures are in the higher realms. I don't know what polymer compound that Apeks is using, but they reportedly aren't adversely effected by such levels.

Greg

I had problems with seats in a Mk 15 only lasting about 50 dives or so. But that was several years ago and SP had problems with seat durability in general and in particular with all their rounded seating edge pistons. It was a nice idea in terms of flow rates but it never resulted in a great IP lockup and was more prone to damage and failure.

SP has since changed seat materials and reverted back to the knife edged sealing edge on the piston. I have not heard of any issues with the current seats or the latest composite piston design.

Dealer parts cost on a new piston is only $19 if someone has the older brass tipped rounded edged piston in a Mk 20 and wants to upgrade. And if the problem is the inability to get an eventual IP lockup, the part replacement should be covered under warranty as it is then neccesary for proper function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom