Sp mk5 piston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbmech2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone know who may have the replacement MK5 piston that has the shoulder? It is no longer available from Scubapro and would like to replace it in a reg that was given to me. Thanks.

I don't know the answer to this, but you might try sending a PM to Luis H on this forum, or posting this in the Vintage Equipment Diving Sub Forum.

CB,

If you want to take chance on a MK 5 you can usually get one cheap on eBay, alternatively the MK 7 uses the same piston and they are usually pretty cheap too. If you want to try the clone route; the TUSA TR-400 should be the same as well as the Oceanic SP4. So if you can find a new one for one of those, that should work….but I can not guaranty it. I'm kicking myself now, I just sold a MK 7 and the person who bought it said, "Now I have bookends."….if I'd know that, I would have stripped the puppy and not bothered to rebuild it.

Good luck,

Couv

Couv,
Thanks for the info. I have way too many regs from Ebay already and you would be surprised at what they are going for. Knowing my luck I would buy one with the same piston and be in the same boat times 2. I recently went through the SP Expert Tech course and with it they gave us a set of older schematics and marked which parts are no longer available. When the MK5 and MK7 were brought up, we were told not to service them anymore. If we chose to then we did so at our own risk. The MK5 I have is fine with a stable IP but, thought I would replace the piston to avoid the seat cutting tendency of the original piston without the shoulder.

Couv,
Thanks for the info. I have way too many regs from Ebay already and you would be surprised at what they are going for. Knowing my luck I would buy one with the same piston and be in the same boat times 2. I recently went through the SP Expert Tech course and with it they gave us a set of older schematics and marked which parts are no longer available. When the MK5 and MK7 were brought up, we were told not to service them anymore. If we chose to then we did so at our own risk. The MK5 I have is fine with a stable IP but, thought I would replace the piston to avoid the seat cutting tendency of the original piston without the shoulder.

Could you explain the difference between the 2 Mk5 pistons. I assume you are talking about some difference in the knife edge.

Also, this idea of refusing service for Mk5/7s: Is it your impression this is Scubapro policy or was this just an idea being pushed by the instructor.

"Do not service"....sounds to me like, "For every MK 5 you service, that is one less MK 25 we won't sell."

At any rate, I too would like to know about the different piston designs of the MK 5/7. If you could post a picture of them side by side that would be great.

Keep the faith,

Couv

Couv,

Odd, the service kits are still readily available. At the Master Tech Clinic I took over a year ago, Rene was asking if there were any parts that would be good to make a production run of. I had asked about getting new swivel retainers before the ones on the regs I service wore out.

I am still servicing 3 Mk5s every year under the parts for life program.

Keith

Odd, the service kits are still readily available. At the Master Tech Clinic I took over a year ago, Rene was asking if there were any parts that would be good to make a production run of. I had asked about getting new swivel retainers before the ones on the regs I service wore out.

I am still servicing 3 Mk5s every year under the parts for life program.

Keith

There have been a number of folks looking for stainless steel swivel retainers. I am assuming the the upgrade from brass to stainless occurred late in Mk5 productions and many may have already been "retired" before the upgrade. I have a number of Mk5s I picked up on ebay and I believe only 1 of the 4 has a SS swivel retainer. There also seems to be a fair number of folks looking for Mk5 DIN conversion kits.

DIN conversion kits would be *very* nice. As would new swivel bolts.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom