Spanish Rocks April 12Th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like To Get Wet

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have not been to the Rocks in several months and wanted to go this Saturday. Should be a decent day and if the winds hold out offer a good dive. I need a buddy and hope to make a dive or two. Let me know if interested and we can work out the details.

Put me down as a maybe - I have a couple of things in the air right now. I would like to do Spanish Rocks because I have never dove that spot before.

spanish rocks where are they ???

Dive Spot: Spanish Rocks

Type of diving: Shore dive – good for beginners

From Tampa ST/Pete: I-75 south from Tampa to the Bradenton/ State road 64 exit.
Note, there is an A and B – take exit A it will head you toward the beach.
Exit toward the right. Stay on that road for about 8 miles or so, until you get to Gulf Dr. (you will hit Gulf Dr. after you cross the intercoastal waterway).
Turn left on Gulf Dr. and take it down about 1/2 mile
Just before the curve to the left there is beach access and parking. That is where you want to be. It is a small sand lot between some houses and apartments. Just pull in and park. Gear up walk down the beach to the left about 50 yards (6 houses).

From Sarasota/Bradenton:
Take 41 north to Cortez Rd. turn left (west) on Cortez until you cross the intercoastal waterway.
Turn right at Gulf Drive and go north about 2 miles
Follow Gulf Drive to the left at the traffic light
The beach access is on the left after you round the curve
Beach access is a small sand lot between some houses and apartments. That is where you want to be. It is a small sand lot between some houses and apartments. Just pull in and park. Gear up walk down the beach to the left about 50 yards (6 houses).

The address for the house next to the sandlot where one should park is; 33 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria, FL.
Some other links:
Google Maps
Google Maps

What to expect at the dive site:
Rock ledges soft, hard small coral croppings, Sea grasses with sea horses. 22ft’ or less. DON'T FORGET YOUR DIVE FLAG!!! Boaters here are known for their careless behavior, so be cautious and again don’t forget your flag.
Amenities: None. Closest dive shop - Seatrek Divers Dive Shop - 105 7th Street North; Bradenton Beach, FL 34217; (941) 779-1506

Pros and Cons: Great dive for newbs, as depths are no greater than 22'. Fairly easy swim from beach to site. Visibility is rarely better than 15' but the price is right!

MoteMan is right about the boaters but that can happen on any shore dive. Some boaters have no brains so we have to be careful.
If anyone can dive I was thinking of 9 AM on Sat and we can go for a second if we want.

Let me know

Miss d

I hope you can join and others from scuba board. Would be nice to meet you guys. If we pull this off it will be fun.

Madeline

I know Dave Bigelow from The villages. He is a friend of mine that moved down here from Michigan. We were associated with the same dive shop ( Aquatic Sports ) Great instructor if you need one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom