Spanish Rocks Scubaboard Fun-Dive Saturday October 18th!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ONE time I dove there a wildlife officer came speeding over (seemed like he was going to run us over) and asked if we were spearfishing and we werent. I dont remember if he said it would be OK there or not, but he was checking divers.

I've never done a shore dive. Is anyone willing to work with me on that? MsD? I expect to be back to normal by then.(fingers crossed):wink:

The key wording is "public swimming beach". With the condos on the shore I wouldnt think this area would be considered "public" and I dont think the beach access there would be enough to consider it "public". Any wildlife officers out there with a little clarification on this??

I'm pretty sure that from any public or accessible beach that it's 100 yds out, but I'll follow-up with law enforcement and report back.

From TBO.com

Bridge Closing To Slow Anna Maria Traffic 6 Weeks
ADVERTISEMENT

By FRANK GLUCK
Sarasota Herald-Tribune
Published: September 29, 2008
MANATEE COUNTY - Traffic headaches begin today for Tampa Bay-area beachgoers headed to Anna Maria Island because for the next month and a half, a main bridge to the island will be closed for construction.
The 51-year-old Anna Maria drawbridge on Manatee Avenue closed at midnight as part of a $9.14 million project to extend the bridge's life span by 10 to 15 years.
Quinn Construction, which has been working on the bridge since February, has 45 days to complete this leg of the rehabilitation work.
The bridge carries about 17,000 vehicles each day, and is one of three bridges to the island.
The Cortez Road bridge will be used as a detour so traffic on its two-lane drawbridge is expected to be especially heavy during the closure.
The other way onto Anna Maria is to cross over from Sarasota County via Longboat Key.
The island and its beaches are among the region's primary tourist attractions, so island businesses are worried the closure will dampen their fall season.
The island is home to more than 8,200 full-time residents, so commuters will also suffer rush-hour stalls during the work.
But the bus could be an option. Thanks to a $30,000 grant from the Florida Department of Transportation, Manatee County Area Transit is offering an island shuttle from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily during the closure.
Riders normally using routes 3 or 6 (which use the Manatee Avenue bridge) will get free transfers for the shuttle. Bus fare is $1.25.
More information on the bus is available at (941) 747-8621.
"I think the best thing people can do is take the bus or just don't go out there if you don't have to," said MCAT Manager Ralf Heseler.
"Traffic is going to be horrendous."

From TBO.com

Bridge Closing To Slow Anna Maria Traffic 6 Weeks
ADVERTISEMENT

By FRANK GLUCK
Sarasota Herald-Tribune
Published: September 29, 2008
MANATEE COUNTY - Traffic headaches begin today for Tampa Bay-area beachgoers headed to Anna Maria Island because for the next month and a half, a main bridge to the island will be closed for construction.
The 51-year-old Anna Maria drawbridge on Manatee Avenue closed at midnight as part of a $9.14 million project to extend the bridge's life span by 10 to 15 years.
Quinn Construction, which has been working on the bridge since February, has 45 days to complete this leg of the rehabilitation work.
The bridge carries about 17,000 vehicles each day, and is one of three bridges to the island.
The Cortez Road bridge will be used as a detour so traffic on its two-lane drawbridge is expected to be especially heavy during the closure.
The other way onto Anna Maria is to cross over from Sarasota County via Longboat Key.
The island and its beaches are among the region's primary tourist attractions, so island businesses are worried the closure will dampen their fall season.
The island is home to more than 8,200 full-time residents, so commuters will also suffer rush-hour stalls during the work.
But the bus could be an option. Thanks to a $30,000 grant from the Florida Department of Transportation, Manatee County Area Transit is offering an island shuttle from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily during the closure.
Riders normally using routes 3 or 6 (which use the Manatee Avenue bridge) will get free transfers for the shuttle. Bus fare is $1.25.
More information on the bus is available at (941) 747-8621.
"I think the best thing people can do is take the bus or just don't go out there if you don't have to," said MCAT Manager Ralf Heseler.
"Traffic is going to be horrendous."

Great find Larry.:coffee:

I'll be there, as well. I was diving there a couple weeks ago and saw some huge Stone Crab.
Season starts on the 15th, I believe. Right on time for my dinner plate! :)

The key wording is "public swimming beach". With the condos on the shore I wouldnt think this area would be considered "public" and I dont think the beach access there would be enough to consider it "public". Any wildlife officers out there with a little clarification on this??

I spoke to LE and "public swimming beach" is any beach area where the public may go. Spearing is allowed 100 yards off shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom