Spanish Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TPA Diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Longtime lurker finally ready to contribute! Grabbed some tanks and headed down to Spanish Rocks on Sunday. Directions to the site were spot on, walk down 6 houses and swim out about 75 yards. The vis was probably around 10-15 feet and the temp. was about 72. We were actually surprised at the amount of life on the reef. Saw numerous crabs, hogfish, cowfish, and a "Florida Regal Sea Goddess" (looks like a brightly colored sea slug). Stayed down for about an hour and then headed in. I would definitely do this dive again, and you can't beat the price! The dive was not without it's casualties though as my friend's camera housing flooded and another person lost a mask. There is a great place to grab a couple beers about 3 miles from the site called the Beachhouse-they have a huge deck right on the Gulf.

You saw a Florida Regal Sea Goddess at the rocks?!?!?!?!? That is awesome. :multi: Purple w/ orangeish yellow stripes, yes?

We have a gulf temp thread/sticky going at the top of the page, which you probably know if you've been a long time lurker, would you post the temp at the Rocks there for everyone to see?

BTW, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. :)

Nice to meet you as well. The goddess was black with yellow stripes. See pic below.

image.php

Hi, I'm new to group and diving. What and where is Spanish Rocks? Always open for a new dive site. Especially shore dives (cheap!).

Hi, I'm new to group and diving. What and where is Spanish Rocks? Always open for a new dive site. Especially shore dives (cheap!).

Hey there. Welcome to the board. The Spanish Rocks are down in Bradenton. It is a really good dive. Its great for beginners to get themselves some bottom time. Its a shallow 22 feet and vis varies from 2 to 15 feet. It's just south of state road 64 on Gulf Dr. There is an old thread with complete directions and a little more info. I'm actually thinking of going down there for a dive with the wife next Saturday. Its still up in the air as of now but if you are interested we can possibly get a dive in.

Thanks for the offer, this and next weekend are out for me, The 4th i'll be doing my advanced certification at Hudson Grotto. Deep, wreck, cavern, equip tech, navigation. Full day. I'll keep you in mind the next weekend i am free. Thanks for the directions also.

Don't know why the pic is not showing up. My other computer had the pic in the reply.

FL_Regal_Sea_Goddess.jpg

TPA Diver - got your pm - SB is a bit odd. To post a pic you have to click on it then us the BB code/image code to get pics to post :)

Nice Goddess. I was looking for a few of my shots of them to share but can't remember which folder they are in :11doh:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom