Spare Air Bottles- Mini's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do These Bottles Have To Be Hydro Tested And Vip'ed Like Normal Cylinders?

No, all you have to do is throw your spair air away as soon as possible and go buy a pony bottle, which is something that you can actually use if you need some "spair air." :D

OK, I am not a fan of spare air but I have a buddy that loves his. He tested it by breathing it down at 60 feet. I was amazed how long he sucked on that thing until it finally ran out. I forget the breaths but it was more than I expected. More than enough gas to get you up from 60 feet and I would guess you would make it up from 100 feet as well. My friend says that it is his intention that if he ever uses it its basically 3CF more than nothing and it can get him to the surface or a buddy safely.

For the size and cost, I prefer a 13 ft pony but to each their own. Next time I dive with him I am going to test it to see for myself. I can buy a pony and a reg for the same cost as a Spare Air. Oh... Ya, I have one :D

Do These Bottles Have To Be Hydro Tested And Vip'ed Like Normal Cylinders?

It does not require an annual vis unless the person filling the bottle requires it. That is normally the user as it come with a filler attachment so It can be filled from a larger 3000 psi tank. I'm not really sure on the hydros. But I can't imagine who would be checking.

Shhhh, the master of SB group-think has decided that Spare Air is worthless. Therefore it has no worth. I think to say otherwise just might violate the TOS. :shakehead:

It isn't really worthless. It's absolutely perfect if you want to run out of air twice on the same dive.

This isn't an opinion, it's math. If you know your ****-hit-the-fan SAC rate and depth you can even calculate where you'll run out of air again.

Terry

If you cant get from 100ft to the surface during an emergency accent without taking a breath then you shouldnt be diving, I would say that at most its 15 seconds to the surface from there..

I'd say that if you have to make a 15 second emergency ascent from 100' you shouldn't be diving.

Terry

It isn't really worthless. It's absolutely perfect if you want to run out of air twice on the same dive.
Terry

Yep. But unless the diver really screws up big time, twice; he should be pretty close to the surface when he runs out the 2nd time.

Yep. But unless the diver really screws up big time, twice; he should be pretty close to the surface when he runs out the 2nd time.
Agreed
3cf is better that 0cf but 13cf is better than 3cf
Like I said, you can buy a SpareAir for $300 or a 13ft pony and reg for $300
It's a no bainer when you think about it.

Even better is not having an OOA in the first place.
what is it, 98% of OOA are lack of attention to the SPG and poor planning?
Prevention is always better than the alternatives.

A

I'd say its even higher % than that.

However you can never totally eliminate equipment failure etc so a redundant air source is a good idea.
However, spare air isnt big enough to be classed as that.

Agreed
3cf is better that 0cf but 13cf is better than 3cf
Like I said, you can buy a SpareAir for $300 or a 13ft pony and reg for $300
It's a no bainer when you think about it.

Actually, the initial acquisition of a spare air is cheaper than the comperable acquisition of a small pony.
Spare-Air 3000 3.0 Kit, Yellow from LeisurePro.com And then there are a couple other small advantages of the spare air but none of them are UW. Fills are free and it packs fairly easily in a suitcase for air travel. You need to trade those off with the ability to make a normal ascent vs. having to do an aided CESA.

I usually have a good buddy and when I don't, I usually take my pony. But if I were a single traveling vacation diver, I would not plan on the good buddy. In that case, I think I would find the spare air option to be tempting even if it is for the 2% OOA condition not involving diver error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom