Speaking of Great Books...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Caution: The following is not for everyone! This book has been known to lead to serious problems... such as AIDS (Aquatic Induced Divorce Syndrome) It's highly addictive, so you should jump to a different thread if you begin to shake uncontrolably.

DEEP DIVING by Bret Gilliam is An Advanced Guide to Physiology Procedures and Systems. It's a captivating book filled with not only history but... well all the stuff that's in the title.

The book opens with two great Quotes:
"Naturally, like any explorer, I have been asked what I intended to find, and whether it made any sense to take unavoidable risks... I did not expect to find pirate's gold in brass bound boxes. It's more the feeling of adventure, the great feeling of putting your foot where no other has been before."
Dr. George Benjamin

"Once a man has been bitten by the diving bug, he's done for. For there's nothing that can be done against this mania, either by fair means or foul. No nook or cranny seems safe from manfish, no cleft, no cave too deep or too dark. He seems to have a close affinity with the members of the mountaineering fraternity. The latter also risk their lives for an experience of a special kind... For them too, it is not really the rock face or the mountain that has to be overcome, but their own selves."
Hans Hass

If what you've read so far interests you, then this book is for you. Reading about Sheck Exley, Hal Watts, Brett Gilliam, Dr. Dan Manion, Jim Bowden Dr. Ann Kristovich and many other's is absolutely facinating. It gives you some insite to how the mind of the deep diver works. We're a different type of animal, one that's often misunderstood.

Anyone else out there who's read this one?

Happy Reading,
Mario S Caner
In2Deep

though I am not at all sure I want to dive that deep, and certainly am not interested in any record setting attempts. It is very interesting and gives a lot of information about the physiology of deep diving and gases. It's a good read.

Dave

Seems I look at this book everytime I go into the dive shop. So I decided it must be an omen! I haven't read it yet 'cause I wrapped it to give to Beast for Christmas. Sort of the reverse tool gift...I'll get to borrow his gift for a change!

Dee

Campana, I don't intend on setting any records either... at least I don't plan on it right now... but you have to love the book. If not for anything else, just to see the ones whom have gone before us... and lost their lives doing something they truley loved.

Dee, Very good idea :) I'll have to try that this year. Now all I have to do is figure out which of my friends needs a new dry suit in my size :wink:

Happy Reading
Mario

Mario S Caner:
DEEP DIVING by Bret Gilliam is An Advanced Guide to Physiology Procedures and Systems. It's a captivating book filled with not only history but... well all the stuff that's in the title.
I have not been impressed by anything from Bret Gilliam, including TDI course material.
Mario S Caner:
Anyone else out there who's read this one?
I will pass on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom