Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Florida we have stand your ground and the castle doctrine. If you are put in fear of your life you can use deadly force. If an intruder enters you home you can kill them....period. Happens almost every day here, no charges filed.

Here in NJ you can use deadly force if you are a cop and there are no witnesses with videocams. Otherwise, they convene a grand jury in the great majority of cases, obtain search warrants, ransack your house and impound your car, classifying the lug wrench as a deadly weapon. This thoughtful kind of mild treatment is only in cases where it was obvious self-defence.

I disagree with those who think only massive killer rounds will stop an intruder, as if all of them were Viking Berserkers. My semi-non lethal .38 'snakekiller' birdshot rounds make a mighty BAM and a bright flash, inflicting great pain if aimed properly. This alone will cause most thieves to flee immediately.

Using spears or bangsticks may result in having them taken away and used on you.

The other issue is that no one has suggested inviting the intruder to sit and chat, maybe share some leftovers and chips, watch the game, have a couple of brewskis and some laughs. You know. Like Jesus might have done.

I keep a 357 Mag. loaded in my room. I carry a 45 ACP on my person everywhere I go, and various other firearms are close at hand at all times. So......yeah....I believe in the 2nd Amendment. Spear gun.....not to much, I don't want to wound anybody, just kill them quickly, and get the crap out of my house.

My thoughts and practices are very similar. Remington 870's are purpose built stop bad guys not spearguns. Not necessarily looking to kill anybody though.... Just shooting to stop the threat at hand and waiting for Police to arrive... If they die in the process that's their fault for breaking into my home.

Spear guns and poles have the same issue in home defense as a long rifle, its is too long to handle in close confines of a home. Easy for someone to deflect or grab from the side as you round a corner. One shot is all you get. Pistols are ideal, short shotguns or carbines come in second. Nothing beats solid doors with deadbolts and/or dogs which both eliminate stealth.

Here in NJ you can use deadly force if you are a cop and there are no witnesses with videocams. Otherwise, they convene a grand jury in the great majority of cases, obtain search warrants, ransack your house and impound your car, classifying the lug wrench as a deadly weapon. This thoughtful kind of mild treatment is only in cases where it was obvious self-defence.

I disagree with those who think only massive killer rounds will stop an intruder, as if all of them were Viking Berserkers. My semi-non lethal .38 'snakekiller' birdshot rounds make a mighty BAM and a bright flash, inflicting great pain if aimed properly. This alone will cause most thieves to flee immediately.

Using spears or bangsticks may result in having them taken away and used on you.

The other issue is that no one has suggested inviting the intruder to sit and chat, maybe share some leftovers and chips, watch the game, have a couple of brewskis and some laughs. You know. Like Jesus might have done.
Lol. The ol wwjd. Nice. I too ask myself when a home invasion occurs and the home owners are shot and killed, what was Jesus doing?

Lol. The ol wwjd. Nice. I too ask myself when a home invasion occurs and the home owners are shot and killed, what was Jesus doing?

What was Jesus doing when home owners were killed by intruders? I'm sure he has an irrefutable alibi in every instance.

If a firearm isn't in the cards for you then I'd take a speargun or a pole over nothing at all.

While I have always had a loaded firearm in every house I have ever lived in, I can't say it is the right thing for everybody.

c'est la vie

What was Jesus doing when home owners were killed by intruders? I'm sure he has an irrefutable alibi in every instance.
I'll explain. Wwjd stands for what would Jesus do. People tend to ask themselves prior to action, wwjd, to make the best decision. But I read the news every day, and my wwjd has turned into what was Jesus doing. So while I read horrific stories in the news, some pertaining to home invasion, I like to ask, wwjd? Understand?

I'll explain. Wwjd stands for what would Jesus do. People tend to ask themselves prior to action, wwjd, to make the best decision. But I read the news every day, and my wwjd has turned into what was Jesus doing. So while I read horrific stories in the news, some pertaining to home invasion, I like to ask, wwjd? Understand?

What a stunning revelation! Is that what it stands for? Is that what you meant? Golly gee whiz!

Please accept my heartfelt thanks for that clarification. I really thought you wanted to know what Jesus was doing at the time because you suspected him of participation in these crimes.

Pretty funny, it's not even April. You think a burglar is as daft ass a fish? One shot one kill? Come to my house, we have a mossy 930 loaded with bird to slug. If the first shot don't scare ya, the last one will kill ya.

Back
Top Bottom