Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure about all this. While I agree that the firearm would be more effective if used, I kind of think the speargun might be more effective at persuading the lowlife to head out the door. There is just something ugly about the thought of that spear. Maybe brandish the speargun and have your .357 in your waistband?

I did not read through all these but the idea did make me chuckle. I will say in a defensive situation:
1) use the element of surprise to your advantage.
2) attack first and attack with veracity.
3) do not stop the attack until the threat is neutralized and in a position that can no longer be a threat to you or your loved ones.

I am sure a speargun could help in this attack but I prefer a 12 gauge loaded with T shot, or a 40 s&w with HSTs but to each their own...

They do say, the most effective weapon is the one that is on you at the time.

I'm not sure about all this. While I agree that the firearm would be more effective if used, I kind of think the speargun might be more effective at persuading the lowlife to head out the door. There is just something ugly about the thought of that spear. Maybe brandish the speargun and have your .357 in your waistband?
That's exactly what I'm thinking! Except I would not hesitate to shoot the bastard!

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 07:50 PM ----------

My belief is that fish that I have shot, were much harder to get a kill shot with, than an intruder would be....
My speargun shoots a big ass spear, and it would instantly "pin" an intruder to the wall. Even if they did not die right that instant, they would be easy to finish off with your baseball bat after than ( continuing the story line of not being able to have a real gun in your house).

OH ya, back up finally! My thoughts exactly! I think some of these guys probably aren't comfortable using a spear gun or have no experience using a spear gun. That would explain their insecurities towards this weapon.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 08:03 PM ----------

12 gauge powerheads ! :)

Even better
View attachment 200539
This is a 444 Marlin Powerhead, made by Pat Frain of Ultimate Dive Products... You instantly slide this disposable powerhead over the tip of your spear...
Pat used to say it would turn a 25 foot Great White Shark into a charred smoking remnant of what it once was....I'm thinking it would handle the intruder quite well :)

I think you really made it very hard for the gun only crowd to dispute that one. Hey thanks for posting that pic!

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 08:06 PM ----------

I did not read through all these but the idea did make me chuckle. I will say in a defensive situation:
1) use the element of surprise to your advantage.
2) attack first and attack with veracity.
3) do not stop the attack until the threat is neutralized and in a position that can no longer be a threat to you or your loved ones.

I am sure a speargun could help in this attack but I prefer a 12 gauge loaded with T shot, or a 40 s&w with HSTs but to each their own...

They do say, the most effective weapon is the one that is on you at the time.

You should really try to read some of these, especially the guy in the video, project butterscotch, terribly hilarious!

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 08:17 PM ----------

I thought you were supposed to fire a warning shot before actually shooting the burglar. Sounds like a good way to end up in jail. You be surprised how many people get in trouble for defending themselves. Gotta love today's America .

I am going to assume this is a joke, because its making me laugh pretty good. The last thing I will ever do is give my ENEMY a warning shot , therefore putting me and my family's safety in jeopardy. Who gives a @@@@@%%%%%#####&&&&(()) about the intruder.

Last edited:
One thing a pump 12 GA has over other firearms is it has that intimidating click-slam sound when you rack one in the chamber.
You must be delusional. The one thing that firearm has is the ability to stop an assailant. Also, you might not know but every firearm has a cocking sound.[emoji7]

You must be delusional. The one thing that firearm has is the ability to stop an assailant. Also, you might not know but every firearm has a cocking sound.[emoji7]
I'm confused, Delusional? What do you mean? ("The one thing that firearm has is the ability to stop an assailant") And I said it didn't, when was this?
Yeah every firearm does have a cocking sound but some are not as loud and as definite as a pump 12.
I think it would get their attention, may not even have to kill anyone they might turn tail and run just hearing it.

Operation BUTTERSCOTCH has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen, I can't believe some one would actually do this! This must be some type of joke right?

Of course it's a joke. Guns are designed to be carried a certain way - loaded. There are those who insist it's not safe to carry this way - it is, they just don't trust the technology. These people will carry a gun without a round in the chamber because "it doesn't take that long to load".
Condition 1 - Locked and loaded, single action fire.
Condition 2 - Loaded, safety on, double action fire.
Condition 3 - Loaded magazine, no round in the chamber.
Condition Tactical Butterscotch - You're being a git. Carry the gun the way it was designed to be carried. If you don't trust the technology, or yourself, stop carrying.

As I said in my original reply - if you have the legal right and the training, carry a gun. If not, you'll just have to make do. Best of luck with that.

OH ya, back up finally! My thoughts exactly! I think some of these guys probably aren't comfortable using a spear gun or have no experience using a spear gun. That would explain their insecurities towards this weapon.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 08:03 PM ----------

I think you really made it very hard for the gun only crowd to dispute that one. Hey thanks for posting that pic!

----

When Pat Frain of Ultimate Dive Products asked me to test some of his 444 marlin powerheads, back around 1990 or so, the idea was to see what kind of "lights out" power it would have on a big fish...
The first time I got to try one, was on a dive when I had a huge great barracuda following me, definitely well over 7 feet long and very thick.... a very smart fish, that was watching me hunt the big Hogsnapper I was following, and he was certainly planning on stealing my fish.....He kept about 4 feet above me and about 5 feet behind me...just tucked back in a pocket, where when I shot something, he could take it off the spear in an instant...
So I did give him a warning, that this was not going to work out well for him....as I approached the hog, and the big cuda moved in a bit closer, I waved the double barrel speargun at him like a rolled up newspaper at a bad dog....several times over about a minute...he would not leave...So I put on the 444 powerhead, and suddenly swam up and back behind him--so looking down on him, and aimed the shot at him just behind the head along the big spine.... I did not really know what the 444 was going to do.....As I pulled the trigger, the first reaction I got was the shock wave of an explosion so severe, it was like chuck Norris just side kicked me in the chest....It almost knocked the wind out of me....Then, I could not see anything....the water was all gray and full of blood and bits....and as it cleared, the head had fallen off the big cuda like the front of a landing craft being lowered to allow jeeps to drive out of it...with a huge gaping hole left the cuda was pretty much cut in 2.

So as an intruder round, the 444 marlin would most certainly make a large "see through hole" where it went in to "center mass", and probably a much larger hole on the back side of the intruder...You would also have a big hole in the wall behind them, but there would be no 2nd effort by the intruder to get off an attack after your 1st shot...they would be gone the moment you pulled the trigger in this point blank range powerhead scenario.

And as a smart spearo, you would be following the Sun Tsu concept of lying in wait for the ignorant burgler, letting them come to you for the ideal ambush shot....there would be no issue of needing to suddenly spin long gun....This is your house, you know where to set up your shot, they don't know where you or anything else is. The only real issue is that you need to have doors and windows well burgler protected enough so that it takes time for a burgler to get through them, and makes plenty of noise....Huricaine glass for your windows is a good start..they won't be getting through any windows...."Real doors" and reinforced door frames...etc. If some evil burgler ever makes it through into your house, the family is in the safe room, and you are already lined up for a great shot at one of your ideal hunting locations....like a "hunting hide" :)

If anyone breaks in, they will deserve what happens next. It would be a righteous kill :)

Back
Top Bottom