Spearfisher dead after failure to surface - Bondi, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I used to enjoy snorkeling and breath-hold diving before I got hooked on scuba. I had never heard of shallow water blackout.

Man dies while free diving off North Bondi​

A man has died after being pulled from the water off North Bondi in Sydney.

Believed to be 29, he was one of six men free diving and spear fishing on Thursday afternoon.

Emergency workers were called just before 4pm after the man failed to resurface.

Police were told the other men tried to resuscitate him on nearby rocks before lifeguards took him to shore and he was treated by paramedics.

The man, yet to be formally identified, was in a critical condition when he was taken to St Vincent's Hospital, where he later died.
Police said a rescue helicopter crew helped the five others from the rocks, and they were treated for shock.

Videos at other sites show the group on a rock ledge at the bottom of a cliff, the helicopter at the top, and rescue operations involved.

Man who died free diving off North Bondi identified as Louis Touma, 29, as tributes flow for the 'absolute gentleman'

Was in the press in Sydney and on radio on the Friday. Not the first death there. Conditions were pretty good on Thursday, so unlikely the environment was a contribution.

There was an awareness campaign conducted via local spearfishing groups here a few years ago.
Reference

He was probably dead before he failed to surface. Just saying.

Prayers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom