spearfishers in coz from 6/25-7/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is spear fishing even allowed anywhere around the island? Definitely not in the park. They won't even make exceptions for lionfish there.

Yes, spearfishing is legal but obviously not in the park.

The way it was explained to me by a guy who owned a condo on the northern tip was that the park didn't extend all of the way up north and there were areas it was allowed.

Yes, spearfishing is legal but obviously not in the park.

The way it was explained to me by a guy who owned a condo on the northern tip was that the park didn't extend all of the way up north and there were areas it was allowed.

FWIW, that may be about to change. There is a movement afoot on Cozumel to extend the marine park all the way up the east coast, around the north end, and down the west side to the top of the hotel zone. That would make the park completely encircle the island except for the coastline from the northern end of the hotel zone down to just south of the southern cruise ship piers.

Did 2 Tanks Spearfishing dive at North West of the island with Leo, April, 18 2009, strong current, and there are no many fish over there at that time.

Leo is a very nice Dutch guy and free diver, really enjoy watching him free diving.

Here's his brochure:

http://www.wetwendys.com/files/spearfishing-cozumel.pdf

YouTube - Spearfishing coz

I plan to hook up with leo sometime during my stay but thought i might do some on my own also. Did you dive from a boat or shore on your tank dive with leo? did you get anything? I want to try some free dive spearfishing but not to sure about my breath holding and endurance.

We dove from boat, I got a big crab, it's my 1st spearfishing, so no too bad for me.

Also tried free diving after boat dive, but I'm not good with it at all, so I was just snorkeling and watching Leo, he shoot a fish.

Leo is not that easy to find, took us whole week to find him, better contact him before you trip.

FWIW, that may be about to change. There is a movement afoot on Cozumel to extend the marine park all the way up the east coast, around the north end, and down the west side to the top of the hotel zone. That would make the park completely encircle the island except for the coastline from the northern end of the hotel zone down to just south of the southern cruise ship piers.

I don't know for sure, but I kind of doubt that, as it would put a lot of guys out of work and take a lot of food off of a lot tables.

But like I said, I don't really know.....I just work here.....nobody tells me anything. :)

We dove from boat, I got a big crab, it's my 1st spearfishing, so no too bad for me.

Also tried free diving after boat dive, but I'm not good with it at all, so I was just snorkeling and watching Leo, he shoot a fish.

Leo is not that easy to find, took us whole week to find him, better contact him before you trip.

How did you try to contact him? the owners of wet wendy's are supposed to be able to put you in touch with him. but maybe i'll send him an email just in case, thanks.

I don't know for sure, but I kind of doubt that, as it would put a lot of guys out of work and take a lot of food off of a lot tables.

But like I said, I don't really know.....I just work here.....nobody tells me anything. :)
I'm not making it up, I swear. I haven't been able to find it today, but a few months back there was a map posted on line with the proposed new marine park boundaries. They were as I described with a very narrow break for some reason right around Mescalito's. It was part of a movement to thwart the Trump development on the north end; maybe if that's gone away the push to expand the park slacked off. I heard some talk about it in May when I was there, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom