Spearfishing on the west coast artificial reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylb

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has/does anyone spearfish around the artificial reefs out of Boca Grande Pass? i.e. Sherman's, PowerPole, SchoolBus, BlueBird, etc?

If so, how's the spearing & visibility in general? What kind of variety do you usually find? Is there a "best" time of year to go?

Is anyone willing to share other locations I may not have listed above? Finally, would you be interested in going with me on my boat?

Has/does anyone spearfish around the artificial reefs out of Boca Grande Pass? i.e. Sherman's, PowerPole, SchoolBus, BlueBird, etc?

If so, how's the spearing & visibility in general? What kind of variety do you usually find? Is there a "best" time of year to go?

Is anyone willing to share other locations I may not have listed above? Finally, would you be interested in going with me on my boat?

All those spots you mentioned are very public numbers and receive tons of fishing pressure- mostly from hook and line guys. There are fish around, but my experiece is whenever I dive those areas it seems the second the someone pulls their tirgger the fish scatter and the jewfish move in out of nowhere looking for an easy meal.

As for "other locations..." Aint no one gonna post their numbers on a public board like this. Good numbers are earned through hours of reading your bottom finder, experimentation, exploration, trading with friends, and even often sold on ebay.

Heck, I've seen people go to blows over "stolen numbers." :D

Now, since you have a boat you mind find people willing to offer up some spots.... or at least take you to theirs.

Good luck.

darlyb,there are tons of known spots that are still under less pressure than those above.The FWC website lists quite a few.TopSpots & Waterproofcharts etc..have charts in the area.

Try a google search on your county and geographic area with various search strings related to coordinates ie;GPS wrecks Boca Grande,LORAN wrecks Boca Grande,southwest Florida coordinates...also the USCG has a file, AWOIS of navigational hazards that may be useful.

Looking is 1/2 the fun.

Good input - thanks guys. Wasn't looking for secret numbers, I'll check with CG and FWC.

I'm still looking for dive buddies to go exploring after the water warms up some.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom