Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson:
I didn't say many, I said one or two divers.

Spear? I'm not talking about a medieval spear. A Spearfisherman uses a speargun in here in Luzon, what do you call it in your "neck of the ocean"?

And I believe the proper term is "constraints" not "restraints"; unless of course the diver's hands are cuffed or the diver is tied up with a rope.

koya, koya?........ lubayan mo na.......

Axua:
Will a pump action with 12 gauge #1 buck shots work at 190 ft?

pare, i saw the guys who did that 190 ft spear fishing.

i was at his resort last year. DANG !!!! he is one tough dude.

i arrive at this resort and i was told to look for the owner to get some tanks. he is the only one with a compressor around the area. and his lone compressor fills one 80 cu. ft. for around 22 mins. i think.

i approach some divers suiting up, then i see a guy putting his boots and then standing up, reaches for his cane of which i just notice , walks with a limp. it becomes apparent he is paralized in a third of his body.

i think to myself "dude this guy is tough, at his condition he still dives"

then as i wait for my tank, it turns out the guy is the owner. and i ask around about big fishes. he tells me, that there are indeed big fishes, as big as PajeroS(monteros) , take note the S in pajeros , emphasizing the number of huge fishes in the area.

he tells me exactly where they are and tells me how to get there.

i ask for more stories... as he tells me stories the more i became reluctant to go to the site.

here is the synopsis;

his "barkada" goes spearfishing. they bring their 7ft and 8 ft spearguns.

they see this big fish. spears it and WOHA !!!!! gets drag to deep, the barkadas then help the friend and they anchor onto a rock to prevent further being pulled to deep.

to make along story short, he got the bends, hence his partial paralysis. now they don't go spearfishing anymore at the location as they agreed to a self imposed moratorium on them fishes and let them be.

but this guy still DIVES even with partial paralysis.

do not ask me for the site as i will not disclose it to anyone. it is my secret and as they say, Let them huge fishes be.

:14:

yomar:
i think spearfishing on scuba is like trying to catch fish in an aquarium. :D

Ahen....hmmpphhh. :D There's a lot of arguing between free divers and scuba spearos about this. IMHO, scuba allows you to push the limits as far as big fish. It's big game hunting, dangerous, and is not "catching them in an aquarium" amigo. :D
I free spear here in Belize and there's lots of sharks here which come snooping around for a free meal. I scuba speared around southern Panay and rarely .....only once...saw a shark after shooting a fish. Imagine holding a 30 lb snapper, grouper, whatever....and a big gray fellow circling you as you do your deco/safety stop.
Check out Spearboard sometime. Those guys are serious spearos. But they also head to rules and regulations and maintain their fish populations.

IMO, If every single fisherman here in the philippines were spearfishing (scuba or not), it would solve a lot of the fisheries problems.

Sure, as long as the scuba spearfisher exercises good judgment then I don't mind it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom