Spearshaft Oil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I got my first speargun, as to oiling the shaft to help prevent corrosion, what sort of oil is appropriate, and where can I find it if its a specialty thing.

Only a very cheap shaft will rust and corrode, but by that time it will be bent because it's not spring steel anyways.

If you have a good quality shaft, there is no reason to oil it for corrossion protection exclusively. On the other hand, I would recommend spraying your shaft if you are line shafting. A thin coating of WD40 will improve the performance of the slide ring and reduce it's drag, thus providing greater accuracy. Some spearo's spray their slide ring shaft before every dive since WD40 is water based.

Or you could just cut the line and start free shafting (which you'll do sooner or later, trust me) Congrats on your new gun!

Thanks for all the info man, I appreciate it

I'm picturing the fish show with WD40 cooking over an open fire with slighly higher flames than normal.. oh and the oil slick running around the diver spearing :D

You could also use a silicon spray...I wipe each shaft down with either WD40 or silicone with a real rough rag after each trip, you don't :no you'll be sorry, especially if you're lineshafting...if you are lineshafting, don't forget to get those slides! Good luck with the new gun, happy hunting! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom