SPEC Boots for MK10 and MK15 primary regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

170 is awful high of an IP.. I think Mk10s call for 135 + or - 10. Sounds like we should ask for the advise of @rsingler !

170 is awful high of an IP.. I think Mk10s call for 135 + or - 10. Sounds like we should ask for the advise of @rsingler !
I think it is time for a new seat. The nice thing is that using a MK10 service kit you get three seats of slightly different height, so you can choose the one which gives you the correct IP. And you do not need to unpack and repack the SPEC, you can change the seat neatly from outside...
If instead of the whole service kit you want to save money, here an Ebay offer for spare conical seats for the MK10:
Scubapro Mk 5 Mk 7 Mk 10 More 1st Stg Reg HP Cave Cone Seat10-101-151 Yr Choice | eBay

Agree with those calling for a new seat, you may want to lift the boot and get rid of some grease, it’s possible that you are going high IP to compress the grease in the chamber, the boot may be less flexible than desirable???.

Yeah, this is a lot higher than I've seen before.

I think it is time for a new seat. The nice thing is that using a MK10 service kit you get three seats of slightly different height, so you can choose the one which gives you the correct IP. And you do not need to unpack and repack the SPEC, you can change the seat neatly from outside...
If instead of the whole service kit you want to save money, here an Ebay offer for spare conical seats for the MK10:
Scubapro Mk 5 Mk 7 Mk 10 More 1st Stg Reg HP Cave Cone Seat10-101-151 Yr Choice | eBay
I'm guessing you mean the official service-kit from scubapro had 3 seats?

With shipping costs, the ebay one only has slight-savings compared to buying a $15 complete kit from VDH. It might just be worth emailing them to see if they'd sell just the seats. Definitely worth considering, since I might need a couple seats.

Agree with those calling for a new seat, you may want to lift the boot and get rid of some grease, it’s possible that you are going high IP to compress the grease in the chamber, the boot may be less flexible than desirable???.

I guess being overpacked with grease seems like a plausible theory. It did push out excess grease the first time I hooked it up to pressurized air. Though I don't think it could suck-in much farther when depressurized, without being sucked into the chamber.

I'm guessing you mean the official service-kit from scubapro had 3 seats?
Yes, exactly.
These service kits often appear on Ebay at a reasonable price, usually around 20 eurs.
They fit both the MK5 and MK10.
I managed to buy 5 of them in spring 2020, during the lockdown...
I did also buy some MK5 kits from VDH, but they contain just one seat with flat surface.
The original conical ones from Scubapro usually perform better, both in terms of maximum air flow and IP stability.
The flat seats have just one advantage, they can be reversed, so one accounts for two rebuilds...

Quick Update:
  • I ran 4-tanks through that regulator, and it seems fine so far. I didn't notice any grease around the spec-boot on the outside. The regulator breathed fine from 0ft to 60ft. It still seems to bulge slightly when under pressure, and suck-in when depressurized.
  • I ordered new HP seats, estimated delivery Thursday. I'm thinking I'll disassemble the regulators when the new seats arrive, and see how much water or air is behind the spec-boot. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might take it apart before then.
  • I'll actually be doing a few salt-water dives the week of 8/22 to 8/28
If anyone wants me to run specific tests, you have to post a comment in this thread and let me know.

How about an under water IP check at various depths? You'll have to use an expendable gauge and drill ambient pressure holes in the back of the case.

Hmmm. I might be able to do that. I should obviously replace the HP seat first and ensure IP is stable. Diving SM, I'd just hook my other tank up to my BCD.

I have an extra IP gauge (not that I'm excited to ruin it). I guess I'd use the tiniest drill-bit I have and carefully drill 2 tiny holes on the back? Obviously, I wouldn't want to use it normally as it would leak air, but would the gauge be reusable for future similar tests?

What's the advantage of drilling holes? If I just record IP & depth, don't we get fairly similar data?

Remember, you are checking IP above ambient pressure. That's the purpose of the holes-to allow water pressure to act on the bourdon tube. Tiny holes would make flushing out the case post dive more difficult. Yes, you can probably use it again if clean and soaked-just compare it with a known good gauge.

It should not leak air-just like your spg should not leak air. The gas pressure should remain in the bourdon tube (or coil.)

Ok, if I'm understanding correctly, I could theoretically remove the back-case entirely, and the pressure gauge would still work, because all of the internal components are sealed, and pressure doesn't leak out into the plastic case? I'd assume I need to remove (or drill holes in) the rubbery protective-boot while I'm at it.

I suppose for maintenance, I could always flush it with a pressure washer, and then dry it out with compressed air after.

I think I get it, and it doesn't sound quite as bad as I first thought. Now to decide which IP gauge of mine I like less...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom