Specialty Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_kuang

Reaction score
I'm looking to take a couple of specialty courses in order to get some more specialized training. What what I've seen, it looks like some "specialty" courses don't have much substance. What specialty courses have you taken that have been beneficial?

These are all PADI courses, instructors make a huge difference rather than the agencies, etc etc. My experience -

Nitrox - beneficial, poor instructor
Drysuit - somewhat beneficial, poor instructor
Wreck - somewhat beneficial, great instructor, will be more beneficial in future
Deep - not beneficial, despite great instructor

I would suggest Navigation if you haven't taken it yet.
Nitrox is good.
Night/Limited Vis
Deep Diving
Equipment

Just a few that I think are useful. A lot that is offered is useless in my book such as:

Shore Diving
Beach Diving

Scott

IMHO, I think you should find some divers, via an LDS or the SB or just by visiting the local dive sites, and go dive. Dive in as many various sites and under as many different conditions as you can find. Read the books from the specialty courses and if you don't understand something in the text ask another diver.

When I was a scout it was about camping, not merit badges, now it's about diving...

Scubaroo once bubbled...
I also suggest that you read this thread, which seems to be along very similar lines.
Peak Performance Buoyancy is one of the specialties that was highly recommended in the other thread.

I am very interested in taking a Nitrox class because I heard there are a lot of benefits to Nitrox diving. I had heard, however, that the tank fillups w/ Nitrox are more expensive -- how much more expensive are they?

Nitrox is a valuable class, but the dives atr typically not done under the watchful eye of an instructor. The fill are a bit moe, and there is a thread on that too, but if it adds bottom time, or safety factor to the dive it might be a worthwhile expense. I haven't dived air, when Nitrox was available for sever years now.

I would sug instead of taking the specialities take Advanced Open Water and Rescue.

The Advanced course will introduce you to several specialities so you will have a better understanding of what skills you may or may not want to develope.

You can also buy the crew packs and videos which will give you the knowledge base and basic understanding of what the course will cover/train you to handle. You will have the materials onhand and will be better prepaired and one thing less to buy if and when you decide whatever specility is something you want to get into. (I got ahold of Deep, Nitrox, Night, Rescue, Divemaster and several other books before I ever took a Basic OW class)

As far as Nitrox I have held off in taking it because as a new diver SAC rates dictate more of when you have to come up as oposed to NDLs. Now that my air consumption rates are better I have to watch my NDLs more carefully on repetive dives and am now planing on going through the class for Nitox.

Geek

Geek,

Are you suggesting that I buy the course materials first -- and using the materials as a basis for determining which course would be the most relevant and beneficial? I hadn't considered that before.

Back
Top Bottom