Species You've Dived With and Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACT651755

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sure I'll be shown up here, but I think I'm doing okay after my recent trip to Protea Banks:

Blacktip Reef Sharks - Fujairah, UAE.
Blacktip Sharks - Protea Banks, S.A.
Scalloped Hammerhead Sharks - Protea Banks, S.A.
Bull Sharks - Protea Banks, S.A.
Tiger Sharks - Protea Banks, S.A.

Your question got me thinking and I ended up going through several log books. I've probably missed something here, but I didn't want to be too repetitive. So here goes...

Nova Scotia has a number of species in its local waters (many more species than I've seen), but I've seen: Basking, Porbeagle, Spiny Dogfish and Hammerhead in these waters.

In other parts of the world, I've seen many of the species I've seen here and others including: Blue, Six-Gill (Vancouver Island), Silvertip, Spinner (Northern Sudan, Red Sea), Shortfin Mako, Blacktip (Indian Ocean), Blacktip Reef, Tawny Nurse (Malaysia), Whitetip, Thresher (Bay of Bengal), Gray Reef, Sharptooth Lemon (Arabian Sea), Bull, Tiger, Great Hammerhead, Sandbar, Reef (Caribbean), Longfin Mako (Japan), Great White (Mossel Bay, South Africa) and Dusky (Libya).

I may have missed a few, but out of over 400 species, I've only accounted for about 5% after spending so much of my like underwater.

It is an interesting question. The vast majority (over two thirds) of sharks which I've seen while I've been in the water with them have been Nurse Sharks. I've seen them in the Florida Keys, the Bahamas, the Tortugas, Grenada, the Turks & Caicos, off the SE Florida coast, and off the SW Florida Coast.

In addtion, I've seen:
Blacktip - Tortugas
Caribbean Reef - Florida Keys, the Bahamas, Grenada, off the SE Florida coast, and off the SW Florida Coast.
Silky - near the Flower Gardens on a rig in the Gulf.
Bull - off the SW Florida Coast, North Carolina, and Florida Keys.
Sand Tiger - North Carolina
Lemon - off the SE Florida coast.

I also find it interesting that while I dive in roughly the same places as before, I see many more sharks now than in years gone by. I saw less than 25 sharks in my first 1000 dives. I saw over 100 sharks in my next 1000 dives.

Nurse - Turks & Caicos, BVI's, Cay Sal Bank, Bahamas
Caribbean Reef - Turks & Caicos, BVI, Cay Sal Bank
Whitetip Reef - Maui
Blacktip Reef - Maui
Horned - San Diego
Whale - Utila

I suspect that y'all have dove with far more species of sharks, in lots more place than you'll ever know.:D

True, Thal (you may have noticed I specified "seen"). I've been in the water many, many times when other folks have seen sharks, but I did not. Once I was asked if I saw the shark circling the guys who were spearfishing. I hadn't, but I did know my buddy and I were they only divers in the area spearfishing.

Bull - Thailand
Whale - Thailand
Blacktip Reef - Thailand (snorkling only though)

OK, so I can't resist showing off a little...

Great White - Guadalupe Island Mexico
Bull - Fiji and Palau
Tiger - Fiji
Silver Tip - Fiji and Tahiti
Lemon - Tahiti
Whale - Holbox Mexico
Grey Reef - Palau
Carribean Reef - Belize
Leopard - La Jolla Shores, CA
Zebra - Thailand
White Tip Reef - everywhere
Black Tip Reef - Tahiti and Maui
Nurse (Tawny and Regular) - everywhere
Horn - Catalina CA

black tip reef shark
white tip reef shark
Oceanic white tip
grey reef sharks
guitar shark (is that a shark or a ray?)
All of the above in Egypt

nurse shark - Caribbean

guitar shark (is that a shark or a ray?)

It's definitely a shark, it has a dorsal fin. Well, actually it has at least two!

I was told I might see these at Protea, so was gutted that I didn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom