Speed Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fergyjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
G'day all,

I went out today and got my head wet, took my Oly 5050 for it's second run.

I Shot most of my subjects in (A) mode, I took a few shots of a clown (see photo) they did not turn out as sharp as I would have hoped for, a little blurry.
My guess is the speed was too slow, my question is when in (A) mode how do you turn up the shutter speed?
Most of my shots averaged about 1/80. (half shutter press)

Your assistance appreciated.

fergyjohn:
G'day all,

I went out today and got my head wet, took my Oly 5050 for it's second run.

I Shot most of my subjects in (A) mode, I took a few shots of a clown (see photo) they did not turn out as sharp as I would have hoped for, a little blurry.
My guess is the speed was too slow, my question is when in (A) mode how do you turn up the shutter speed?
Most of my shots averaged about 1/80. (half shutter press)

Your assistance appreciated.

Hope this helps. In A mode you can only set the F stop, there the shutter speed will be automatically set, and in P mode you can only set the shutter speed, here the F stop is automatically set. If you want to control both go to M mode.

Correct me if I am wrong Lisa but "P" is the fully automatic setting (on the C4000Z) while:
"A" mode you can set the shutter speed and the aperture is automatic.
"S" mode you set the aperture and the shutter speed is automatic.
"M" mode is fully manual and you set both aperture and speed.

fergyjohn I use 1/80 and 1/00 on almost all my pics.
I don't think most shots are perfect as far as focus goes. Adjusting them in Photoshop or another program can usually fix that.

One of the tips that I just read on this site said to focus on the subjects eye to get the best results. I haven's tried it yet.

I took one of your shots into PS7 and made an adjustment with the "Unsharp mask".
Did you have your internal or external strobe on for this shot? It doesn't look like you did because I also used the "mandrake process" on it to get these results.

clown.jpg

Thanks Justleesa & Gilligan,

I have only the internal flash at present but hope to have the Inon 180 soon.

Gilligan I thought that (A) set the aperture & the shutter speed was automatic, and (S) set the shutter speed & the aperture was automatic.
Gilligan can you show me the result that you aquired from PS7.

fergyjohn:
Gilligan can you show me the result that you aquired from PS7.

i can answer that for you, the pic that he posted is what he did in PS7. your pic looked nice but his after working on it looks even better.

steve

Sorry having some problems with my computer, I cannot see any attachment showing from Gilligan.

fergyjohn I stand corrected. I had it in reverse.
The "A" mode is you set the aperture
The "S" mode is you set the shutter speed.

The photo I posted in my previous post above has the corrected photo.

As others have said you can't adjust the shutterspeed in (A)perture priority mode. If you want to do that use (S)hutter priority mode but your depth of field may suffer as the camera will select your aperture for you. You say you use the internal flash mostly - in that case why don't you use (M)anual mode. Try 1/125 or 1/250 and f4 or f5.6. Anenome fish are particularly hard to shoot as they flit in and out of the anenome quite a lot.

wow fergyjohn... you must be a real perfectionist... i'd be thrilled to take those
pictures you took

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom