• Spg

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • AI

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Both

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba fryd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Had a discussion with my instructor wether AI alone is safe enough or not I believe they are enough in them self he believes you have to have a spg and a transmitter. Got my curious what a peoples preference and why

You’ll find a number of threads on the topic already. They’d be worth a scan.

IMO … It’s really a personal decision, especially for the recreational diver. After many, many dives using a backup SPG with my Perdix AI, I dropped the SPG.

I do have one in my backpack on the boat if ever had an issue before/between dives.

Had a discussion with my instructor wether AI alone is safe enough or not I believe they are enough in them self he believes you have to have a spg and a transmitter. Got my curious what a peoples preference and why
It's silly to use both and defies logic. Some divers love to clip every piece of equipment they own on to themselves. Even instructors.

Next time ask him why he recommends both.

I only use the transmitters - removed the spg a couple of years ago. Most all of my diving (95%) is cave diving. I lost one dive because the x-mitters failed to communicate with the handset after about 10-15 minutes into the dive. Replacing the x-mitter batteries fixed the problem.

I removed the SPG a couple of years ago too. It's still in my bag as a back up, but I haven't even had to change the battery in my transmitter yet. Never had a drop out.

1694174551791.jpeg

Nice for quick checks while setting up. Small factor serves a back-up if things happen without too much clutter.

I have an SPG because it's part of Standard Equipment™ for the way I dive and my buddies expect it to be present, thus making them calmer and reducing friction. I have a transmitter because I appreciate the precise logging, mostly (I'm an information nerd). Hence both, even though either alone would be sufficient.

At the risk of derailing the thread, how many use 2 transmitters while diving doubles with a manifold? My tech instructor insisted I get a second transmitter, which I did. I can see how it might be necessary if I had to shut down a valve and then balance decompression obligations vs having anything to breathe. But I’m not doing deco, so figured I would head straight for the surface in the case of a valve shutdown, and I wouldn’t be at the bottom in the first place without a good reserve, so not sure how that second transmitter is actually useful.

how many use 2 transmitters while diving doubles with a manifold?
I've never heard of anyone doing that, nor proposing a legitimate reason for it. An SPG (or, presumably, transmitter) on the left post should be adequate.

At the risk of derailing the thread, how many use 2 transmitters while diving doubles with a manifold?
You are perhaps the only one. Does he dive with two SPGs on a set of manifolded doubles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom