SPG + Compass Recommendations - Integrated or Separate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverEngineer

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been reading that I should get a SPG instead of using the integrated air device with my wrist computer. Additionally, I am going to take my AOW soon and need a compass.

Does anyone know of a good SPG and compass brand/model?

Should I buy them as an integrated unit or separately?

I’ve read that I should get them separately and that I should go for a compact SPG and wrist mounted compass, but there are so many to pick from.

Thanks,
DE

Last edited:
I do dive with an AI wrist computer, but keep a hosed SPG as back-up. The SPG has never failed me while the transmitters have failed me on more than one occasion. Even when the AI psi is on my wrist, I still compare it once or twice to my brass & glass SPG. Having the pressure reading on your wrist with all the other data is a nice luxury, counts down available time based on your breathing rate as well as NDL...And when downloaded the computer can give you your SAC rate which is good to know and compare from dive to dive.

I use a compass on a bungee mount and slide it over the top of my hand.

Using an ai computer has a lot of benifits. It allows you to download you dive to your computer for you to analyze. More inmportant untill experience makes things second nature your ai computer (at least my aeris) will tell me how much time i have till accent,, based on gas psi and usage or ndl or o2 limits. a lot can be learned when you have to find the answer to why the comp is telling you what it is. you can clearly see that when you have 5 min left based on ndl at 80 ft and you rise to 40 ft and you get more time. Watching those bar graphs dive after dive after a while really drives home the effects of depth on ndl o2 and gas consumption. At some point you will no longer need such graphic displays because some little voice will tell you you need to reduce depth or you are getting close to your ndl. To some degree the computer is an extension of the classroom training and reinforces theory to reality of diving. The time will come when the spg is all you need. A last benifit, and prehaps the most inportant, is that you get an appreciation of the necessity of dive planning. I still like my my ai computer but do not use it much, as the menus are not friendly for me. But i love my preditor and i stayed at a holiday in express last week.

I see mixed reviews about the Suunto SK-7 and I am totally confused about which compact brass SPG to get because there are so many.

What brand/model SPG and compass do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
I use a 2" black face HOG SPG, bottom timer, and Suunto SK-7 compass in a DSS bungee mount.

My setup works great for me. I recommend an SPG/bottom timer over a computer - there are a multitude of threads/articles on the pros/cons of computer diving that will help you make an informed decision that is right for you.

Also, pretty much all brass SPGs are made in the same factory. As long as you get one from a reputable retailer (DiveRite, OMS, HOG) you will be good to go.

I see mixed reviews about the Suunto SK-7 and I am totally confused about which compact brass SPG to get because there are so many.

What brand/model SPG and compass do you guys recommend?

They almost all are made in the same plant in Italy. Any of the two inch diameter B&G spas are fine. I am considering going to a thin 1.5 inch gauge with acrylic lens to save weight.

Console are not cool and out of style. It is probably better to get a writ mount computer with compass function or a separate wrist mount computer. I have one that goes on my computer band and it works fine for casual navigation.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom