Spg face color?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N518LF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New diver setting up my first rig. I'm diving San Diego and Laguna beach which means 55 degree water with 10-20 foot vis. Not planning any night or tech dives.

I see Hog has a black face spg and Deep 6 has orange, most are white. I was looking at the black face from Hog but wondering if the white would be better for my conditions?

Thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Truthfully, I don’t think it makes much of a difference.....I have white and black and would like to try the orange but I’d say get what appeals to you.

Th black face SPG is thought to be better for dark and low vis diving because when one looks at them they do not get a an after image of the gauge afterwards.

Think about looking a light a dark room then looking away and blinking. You see an after image (also known as photo-bleaching).

If nothing else get the blacked SPG cause they look cool.

I like the black faced ones they work well at night the white faced ones seen to be too luminous when charged up with your dive light.

Thanks guys, I deff like the look of the black face. Everyone seems to speak highly about it for night/cave diving and I just wasn't sure if it would be better or worse than a white face for recreational/daytime (non dark) diving. From what I'm hearing, they would be about the same for my dive conditions.

Black it will be

I have both black and white, I dive in appalling viz locally and when I'm very lucky tropical Gin, can't say I've noticed any difference.

The Hog black is cool. Had one. My ex-girlfriend pirated it in the break-up. The white is easily read in all conditions especially when it glows. The Deep 6 reminds me of a sexy retro Doxa dive watch. I'm partial to the Deep 6. :D

I was very pleasantly surprised at how easily I was able to read the 2” brass and glass Deep 6 SPG, as compared to a standard white one, even during night dives. Not sure why that is. Definitely would choose it over a white one. Don’t have any experience with a black one.

I like black faced gauges personally but I primarily cave dive, so that's the driver for that. In OW I still like them, though in dark water the orange face would probably be a bit easier to read at quick glance if you have it already. Try it, figure out which one you like.
I will say that I don't like white faced gauges at all. The contrast makes it hard for me to read at quick glance, even in OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom