SPG spool leak; did I service it incorrectly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not the threads that make any difference but internal bore where the spool is located. One can clean them by placing the hose in a solution of vinegar and water and using pipe cleaner in the bore. You can do the same with the SPG. You just want to keep them facing down so that the cleaning solution does not get into the small orifice via capillary action. Make sure they are completely dry afterwards.

Even though everything looked clean to the naked eye, lack of proper cleaning of the hose fitting and SPG bore is the only thing that seems plausible as a cause. So after cleaning with water and vinegar solution, I just let the SPG and hose sit out for a few hours? I would guess that any sort of blowing into the SPG could drive the water/vinegar into the SPG. As for the hose, should I blow air through it for good measure?

That sounds about right to me. Clean out the bore and then blow air through the hose. You don't have to, but I like to...just in case any gunk you cleaned out ends up farther into the hose. As for the SPG, you can use LP air across the face, to help blow contaminants away....but I have only done that once and find it unnecessary.

One note: You could also use pure vinegar, but make sure to rinse thoroughly with water.

They make little brushes that will fit in the bore to clean it... just want to keep the SPG upright and pull the brush out very often and clean the bore a little bit at a time.. then tap the SPG on a soft rubber block to help knock any crud out... On the hose.. just blow through the hose to clear all crap out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom