Spice Island Divers, Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there anywhere you would compare to R4 ?

In terms of bio diversity, I haven’t seen one that comes close to R4. I haven’t been to Triton Bay, yet (plan to go there in Jan 2025). You may read this article and check out the place yourself and tell us if it’s better than R4, Triton Bay

As far as muck diving world, Algae Patch in Batanta (one of the 4 king islands) comes close to Ambon. Here is a GoPro video I took when I was there.

Thanks for your reply, whilst I enjoy muck, a few days is enough for me, prefer the bigger stuff. I really don't think anywhere comes close to R4 in S.E.A, Komodo a second. Looks like I will have to return for my third trip but I kind of would like something new. I have always stayed at the local guesthouses at Kri.

Thanks for your reply, whilst I enjoy muck, a few days is enough for me, prefer the bigger stuff. I really don't think anywhere comes close to R4 in S.E.A, Komodo a second. Looks like I will have to return for my third trip but I kind of would like something new. I have always stayed at the local guesthouses at Kri.

I agree with you on that. I’ve been to RA 9 times. The 10th one will be in Feb 2024.

I’ve been to Komodo 4 times. The 5th one will be in August 2023.

If you want something new, the ultimate bigger stuff is in Galapagos. I’ve been there 3 times. The 4th one will be in December 2023.

Thanks I have done the Galapagos once, I would like to go again sometime, when I'm rich maybe !!!
R4 just seems so hard to top, Palau is pretty close but all things considered R4 does it for me.

Thanks I have done the Galapagos once, I would like to go again sometime, when I'm rich maybe !!!
R4 just seems so hard to top, Palau is pretty close but all things considered R4 does it for me.

IMHO, Palau is better than Komodo in terms of bigger stuff. My favorite dive there was in German Channel, when Oceanic Mantas feeding in the blue, barrel rolling in front of me and at the end of the dive, when we went to the shallow, we encountered with Zebra shark sleeping on sandy bottom.

However, in terms of bio diversity, RA is still on top. I saw many critters and fishes that I don’t see anywhere else in the world.

IMHO, Palau is better than Komodo in terms of bigger stuff. My favorite dive there was in German Channel, when Oceanic Mantas feeding in the blue, barrel rolling in front of me and at the end of the dive, when we went to the shallow, we encountered with Zebra shark

[CHowever, in terms of bio diversity, RA is still on top. I saw many critters and fishes that I don’t see anywhere else in the world.

Palau better than Komodo for big stuff? Definitely for sharks, Manta's depends on the day. I've had way more epic Manta dives in Komodo, but then again I've spent alot more time diving Komodo. Palau pales in comparison when you factor in Soft Coral habitats and Macro creatures.[

Palau better than Komodo for big stuff? Definitely for sharks, Manta's depends on the day. I've had way more epic Manta dives in Komodo, but then again I've spent alot more time diving Komodo. Palau pales in comparison when you factor in Soft Coral habitats and Macro creatures.[

How many times have you been on both places? I’ve been in Palau 3 times, about 100 dives. I have been in Komodo 4 times for over 100 dives.

Here are a couple videos of Blue Corner and Ulong Channel. Compare them to what you saw in Komodo.

I did say in terms of bigger stuff, didn’t I? Have you seen those massive Cabbage Corals of Ulong Channel in Komodo? Also, those Giant Clams in Clam City (not in my video) are just amazing. However, in terms of Soft Corals and Soft Coral habitats and Micro creatures, you may be right, Komodo is better. I just didn't spend time for those things.

I am just winding down four days of diving with Spice Island Divers in Ambon. I will be the first to admit I was hesitant to return to Ambon, knowing the pandemic killed all tourism to Ambon, and my favorite dive op had called it quits. That being said, I have had a wonderful time with Spice Island Divers. The staff is excellent, my room is beautiful, the ac is cold, the water hot, and the food was far better than expected. The common areas and such are in the process of being updated and renovated after being dormant for so long. All the bungalows just got new metal roofs and look great. I know running a resort in Ambon is tricky, but it sure seems the owners are trying to do it right.

As for the diving...Ambon delivered as always. My guide, Alan, was on point and kept me busy. Not every dive was a home run, but quite a few were nonstop action. I will for sure be back.
View attachment 774761
View attachment 774762View attachment 774763View attachment 774764View attachment 774765View attachment 774766View attachment 774767View attachment 774768
Thanks for the post! Will be diving with Spice Island in Ambon at the end of October before boarding a liveaboard in Saumlaki. Really looking forward to the trip.

How many times have you been on both places? I’ve been in Palau 3 times, about 100 dives. I have been in Komodo 4 times for over 100 dives.

Here are a couple videos of Blue Corner and Ulong Channel. Compare them to what you saw in Komodo.

I did say in terms of bigger stuff, didn’t I? Have you seen those massive Cabbage Corals of Ulong Channel in Komodo? Also, those Giant Clams in Clam City (not in my video) are just amazing. However, in terms of Soft Corals and Soft Coral habitats and Micro creatures, you may be right, Komodo is better. I just didn't spend time for those things.

Like I said Palau is better for sharks, and yes Ulongs cabbage corals are amazing, as well as the other hard corals. As in Komodo Manta dives in Palau can be crowded, Palau I belive really just has Ulong for mantas, Komodo has lots more manta sites so especially if your diving from a LOB it might produce better results, I've only dived Palau 12 days and after that moved on to destinations in Indonesia and The Philippines, as Palau set off my obsession with the Coral Triangle. I do prefer Indo above all. I love riots of soft coral colors and the clouds of small fishy's that go with them along with schools of bigger fish. I love hard coral habitats, I love macro habitats. Komodo brings them all, Palau is lacking in Macro and soft coral compared to Komodo. I'm not trying to start something :laughrant: al'la centrals, I'm just saying I like Komodo better for the reasons I've stated.
Peace be with you @Dan I'm a lover not a fighter. :)

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom