Spiegel Grove current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is swift at times, but well worth the effort. There are some big honkin' Grouper and Bull Sharks from time to time. The trick is to use the ships' structure to "hide" from the current. Move into or against the current. They are not going to let you wear gloves and the possibility of fire coral is real. Carry a ribbon to tie to the down line you used so you can easily find it again. There is more than one and you don't want to find yourself on the wrong boat.

Buoyancy control can be critical if you drift into the current and it carries you away. Also watch your mask, it can blow off and swimming into the current can cause a regulator free flow. Always use the down line to move up/down. Carry a small 10' line with you to clip onto the line and your harness so you don't get bunched up at the safety stop. Most operators will rig a line at 15' deep or so from the stern of the boat to the down line. If you blow off the site, everyone else will be picked up before they come to get you, so a SMB is a good idea.

Holy, smokes. I wasn't really expecting any of this. My dives have been limited to smaller wrecks on the Gulf of Mexico...nothing like what you've described.

They are not going to let you wear gloves and the possibility of fire coral is real.

I had not heard that gloves were not allowed. No offense, but are you sure about that? Figured if I ever made it back I'd consider a pair, since barnacles on the mooring line pose a bit of a hazard.

Richard.

The S.G. is a GORGOUS dive....and can be either an etheral experiance...when conditions are benign..or an exercise physically as well as in use of dive skills...I have been on the S.G. at least 3 times. Two of those dives were pretty task loaded due to current and surface conditions...including a 4 knot current coming up while the dive was in progress. That was a flag impersonation on the safety stop...including current induced free flow...lol.
I'd suggest if you DO take the dive....buddy up with a good experianced diver familier with that dive site, and comfortable with a newer diver.
Do the dive operator a courtesy, and be honest with him about your skill and comfort level...let him know your fairly new diver, and let him help you....believe me, they WANT to ensure you have a safe enjoyable dive and come back...thats what they do.

Have a great time, and dive within your training and comfort levels...

ENJOY!!

Bubs

Last edited:
I had not heard that gloves were not allowed. No offense, but are you sure about that? Figured if I ever made it back I'd consider a pair, since barnacles on the mooring line pose a bit of a hazard.

Richard.

I'd been specifically told by Conch Republic to bring gloves for that exact reason when I was scheduled to dive it last November.

I've heard of no gloves being allowed on the reefs, but not on the wrecks...

I'm headed there soon. Anybody have a definitive answer?

My dives on the S.G. have ALWAYS used gloves..the downlines are covered in barnicles..I consider them an absolute necessity...I simply wear mechanix gloves ...they do the job very nicely. Without them..I think my hands would end up looking like I'd been attacked by a school of rabid glass shards.

Deff take gloves, perferably ones with good thick palms and fingers, you may need them.
I have dove the Grove on several occasions and the current has ranged from absolutley zero to ripping. On one dive the only way that was reasonable to dive it was to hang on to the anchor line all the way to the ship then move hand over hand on the railing of the ship (don't know if that is still in tack- it's been a while). The return was easy, just let go and ride the current back to the anchor. Bottom line, hope for no current but be prepaired for a ripping one. Be sure to take a SMB with you and be prepaired to do a free accent in open water just in case you get blown off the wreck.

Richard.

gloves are allowed by all operators and I encourage everyone(especially on the duane and bibb due to cup coral) to wear them @ least down the mooring line to the wreck. if no current is present I usually remove them then put them back on for the ascent. iv'e observed not only barnacles but fishing lures/hooks/treble hooks, encrusted fire coral/various stinging hydroids and I even got wacked by Portuguese man of war tenacles that were wraped around the line just below the mooring buoy. the less used mooring lines on the stern are far worse,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• spiegel grove.jpg
    spiegel grove.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 512
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom