Spiegel Grove uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Florabama was attesting to the previously expressed reactions of disbelief... not trying to inform us of something he heard at his local LDS.

And now, the latest from www.SpiegelGrove.com

"The ship did not actually move... it only rolled upright
as it was meant to be. In the process of attempting to
right it after the original sinking, an anchor cable was
wrapped under the ship and then over the keel and
attached to the propeller shaft on the port side.

Two tug boats were supposed to pull lines attached
on the port side, away from this anchor line, and the
plan was that it would roll exactly as it has done now.
In the attempt, some of the lines broke, and only ONE
tug was actually pulling, and it just did not have the
power needed to roll the ship.

The ship was left lying on the starboard side, with this
anchor cable still in place. With the hurricane that just
passed through here, the waves were building to 20+
feet, and it is believed that these waves were pushing
the currents much faster than they usually run. This ship
was a landing ship dock, which means that the rear half
of the ship is basically a giant cup whose open "top"
was facing INTO this current. With the increased force,
the sea current just did the job that the tug boats had
attempted to do 3 years ago.

A factor which apparently contributed in this is the
fact that the regular currents which run in this area had
created a large void under the rear 50-60 feet of the
ship. This actually allowed the rudders and the props
to pass freely, unimpeded, into this void, where they
are now embedded deep in the sand.

Today, I was able to view about 1-1.5 ft of the top
of the starboard rudder, but the rest of it, and the
prop are now buried completely under the sand.

The most important thing to keep in mind with all of this
is the fact that the anchor cable had been rigged just for
this particular purpose... it was only 3 years later that the
proper force was finally applied to carry out the process."

I like the way whoever wrote this thinks!

That was one of the fun parts of the dive: Taking a swim between the hull and sand near the rear, then coming up on the other side and making a pass over the props. Darn, need a new dive plan.

hermosadive:
Crack me up. Somehow you found this tread, but apparently never read any of it. Thanks again, but this was confirmed 11 pages of posts-ago.

Glad to give you a little entertainment, but I wasn't posting this as a new revelation, Einstein. I was responding to all the posters above who said "I don't buy it, " or "I don't believe it could happen."

Before you insult someone, maybe you should spend a couple of seconds trying to understand what they're saying.

AquaHump:
I think trimix is only about 10 years old or less in common use.

Actually, Heliox and Trimix have been around since the early 1980's but was only in experimental phase back then. Of course, it hasn't been until recently that those gas mixes have become available for the recreational market. A BMCM (Boatsman's Mate Command Master-Chief) that I work with was part of the Navy Experimental Dive Unit back in the late 70's and early 80's and they would intentionally get those guys bent to figure out the deco tables for those gas mixes. Of course, this was all in a controlled environment where they could be recompressed rapidly and administered the proper medical care/treatment if necessary.

I'm sorta half dissapointed that it filpped. I actually thought it made a more interesting dive on it's side. The gigantic twin props were an impressive site and now they are buried in the sand as mentioned upthread :-(

2Tours N Iraq`:
Actually, Heliox and Trimix have been around since the early 1980's but was only in experimental phase back then. Of course, it hasn't been until recently that those gas mixes have become available for the recreational market. A BMCM (Boatsman's Mate Command Master-Chief) that I work with was part of the Navy Experimental Dive Unit back in the late 70's and early 80's and they would intentionally get those guys bent to figure out the deco tables for those gas mixes. Of course, this was all in a controlled environment where they could be recompressed rapidly and administered the proper medical care/treatment if necessary.

The first instance that I am aware of where the U.S. Navy started experimenting with mixed gas (heliox, trimix) was in the late 30's and then operationally with the recovery of the Squalus I think in '39. Peter Maas wrote a great book on the subject titled "The Terrible Hours"; the book is more about "Swede" Mommsen but goes into detail about his work with helium and other diving innovations. Recreationally, Billy Deans started offering a trimix course in the early 90's down in Florida. I think Sheck Exley offered one as well. Others may know more.

Also and no less important, God Bless and thank you for your service; stay safe...

Dove the SG today, it is upright. Main deck (forward) is at 90', not too much sand in the wreck. Great dive, I can not compare it the way it was, as this was my first dive on it. Went with Ocean Divers, good group, no complaints. I also dove the Duaine (SP?) on Tuesday, another great dive. I will come back here for another vacation!!

Since now there have been some actual logged dives on the SG, can someone help me with a dive plan. 3 buddies and I are going to be diving the grove this next week. We will use o0cf Al tanks with 32% Nitrox. We plan on two dives and wish to see the main good parts of the now righted ship. If someone could provide a couple of depths for the main parts to see and also the distances between each that would be great. Finally, we will do 2 more dives that day either on air or the 32% at some of the reefs. Thanks in advance... please PM if you reply to this.

Also is there anywhere on the web to get a diagram? I understand the old ones may have to be extrapolated for the right depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom