Spiegel Loot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was on the Spiegel Grove this weekend, tied off to buoy #7 (port side, close to bow), going thru one of the forward rooms near the top or 2nd deck. Saw a place where there might have been a table with a sign that said:

"We took your loot. Any questions call investigators."

There was a 305 area code and a phone number. I wish I had a slate to jot it down or a camera to snap a shot of it.

Anyone seen this before and know what its about?

i heard there was some taking of artifacts (illegal)with lift bags but dont know the name of the dive shop or any other particulars that allowed this

I wonder if they the took the two small concrete pandas that someone put on the table in the forward captains mess?

I kind of doubt there were any "artifacts" to "loot". The SG, like all other purposely sunk ships are stripped of all valuable items before they are sunk. Even if there were things worth taking remaining on board, it would not have been of historic importance and therefore not an artifact. More likely it's an inside game being played by a couple of dive shops......now there is an idea, an underwater travel bug.
http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx

I used the wrong word, not artifact, but they were stealing from the ship and using a lift bag. Supposedly an investigation is ongoing

That makes sense..that investigators are looking into someone stealing items from the ship, but their note seems to say that the theives left something behind that investigators took. Maybe it was tools to pry things off the ship?

ABQ- I saw two bear cookie jars that were very heavy and probably filled with cement. One was in the forward room that contained the "loot" note. It was sitting on a box. The other was just outside the ship on a structure on the deck.

Anyone know where I can find deck plans? I'd love to be able to identify which rooms I am referring to!

Professional investigators aren't going to leave a note.

"Dear Robber, I found the evidence you left behind, we'll be by with a warrant in a few days".

A freind got a photo of this. The sign read:

We took your loot, to discuss the matter, call 305-289-2320
mailbox # 309, leave name & callback number for investigator.

The number is to the Law Enforcement Division Of the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Very intriguing!!!

herman:
I kind of doubt there were any "artifacts" to "loot". The SG, like all other purposely sunk ships are stripped of all valuable items before they are sunk. Even if there were things worth taking remaining on board, it would not have been of historic importance and therefore not an artifact. More likely it's an inside game being played by a couple of dive shops......now there is an idea, an underwater travel bug.
http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx

Herman,

We have Moonie, that is pretty close to a travel bug. I also have done some geocaching and "Where's Moonie" was a good idea. I'm not sure that Lil Irish Temper was aware of geocaching though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom