Spiegel Loot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irene:
A freind got a photo of this. The sign read:

We took your loot, to discuss the matter, call 305-289-2320
mailbox # 309, leave name & callback number for investigator.

The number is to the Law Enforcement Division Of the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Very intriguing!!!

What could it all mean?

herman:
I kind of doubt there were any "artifacts" to "loot". The SG, like all other purposely sunk ships are stripped of all valuable items before they are sunk. Even if there were things worth taking remaining on board, it would not have been of historic importance and therefore not an artifact. More likely it's an inside game being played by a couple of dive shops......now there is an idea, an underwater travel bug.
http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx

Unfortunatly the geocaching rules state that no special equipment other then a GPS can be needed to complete a search ie. scuba.

Your right gnexweb I had forgotten that rule. But no real "search" is required. If it is handed off to people, as some TB are then scuba would not be exempt. This is basically what Moonie is all about. Then the current holder of the TB can take pics on dives or whatever. It would be an exclusive thing to diver/snorkelers but it would work in the geocaching world.

Maybe we need to develop a new brand of cache/TB to fit this "scuba" category. They keep adding different types of caches all the time anyway, why not a scuba cache.

What do you think?

WVDiver:
Maybe we need to develop a new brand of cache/TB to fit this "scuba" category. They keep adding different types of caches all the time anyway, why not a scuba cache.

What do you think?

I'm game! Watching the path of a travel bug I'd planted would certainly make me feel like I had visited some new and exciting dive sites!!

ReefGuy:
Professional investigators aren't going to leave a note.

"Dear Robber, I found the evidence you left behind, we'll be by with a warrant in a few days".

Actually they often do. For example, I have taken unattended contraband and left a business card at the site advising the owner to call me before I come calling for them. I have cut down marijuana plots and left a business card have sometimes been rewarded by a the suspect calling and arranging to turn himself in. Not all suspects are master criminals.

MichaelBaranows:
I am new to caching but I believe that there have been some set up for scuba.

That's great Mike, let me know what your research uncovers. I think we have sufficiently highjacked this thread. ooops

Generally caching isn't supposed to invovle any speciality equipment (that's part of why it's so cool), but why not set up a special set for scuba divers? You could put a parameter on it to make sure it stays in florida (for example), that way you're bound to have lots of divers available to look for it and keep it going! Or you could set it up so that people are supposed to put it back on another wreck. In a season or two, I bet it will have visited more wrecks than most of us!

deeper thoughts:
I used the wrong word, not artifact, but they were stealing from the ship and using a lift bag. Supposedly an investigation is ongoing

Recovery of any items off the GROVE would not be "stealing." It is no longer USN property (title transfered upon sinking), and since it is less than 50 years old and does not have any other special circumstances, would not be considered an historical resource. People have been pulling stuff off that vessel since it went down, including many of the local dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom