spinal cord stimulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiwivern

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband has a spinal cord stimulator for low back pain, manufacturers suggest no deeper than 33 feet for diving....anyone out there with one who continues to dive and has any suggestions....also anybody know of 35 feet or less fun dives in the BVI's?

My husband has a spinal cord stimulator for low back pain, manufacturers suggest no deeper than 33 feet for diving....anyone out there with one who continues to dive and has any suggestions....also anybody know of 35 feet or less fun dives in the BVI's?

I'm not a doctor and haven't seen one of these, but if it's removable, he might find that he doesn't have much back pain in the water and doesn't actually need it.

Also, although you didn't ask, get a medical release before you go and tell the dive op that he would like to put his gear on and take it off in the water. This will eliminate the stress on his back from walking on the deck or climbing the ladder with an extra 50+ pounds on his back. This is a completely legitimate request and nobody should give you a hard time over it.

Terry

Thanks for your reply, but generator is implanted....technicians tell us it is tested for deeper than 33 feet but will only recommend to that depth...cost prohibitive to push the limits!! Just curious to talk w/ anyone that may have a stim and is still diving. Sailing this next week around BVI's looking for good shallow dives.

Have been in the BVI and there are lots of shallow sites, so you should have plenty of options. For specifics, try posting your question in the "Lesser Antilles" forum (in "Greater Carribean" under the "Regional Travel" section.).

Had a student once with a similar implant and no problems on shallow dives.

-Bryan

It is early 2014, and I am considering surgical implant of a spinal cord stimulator. I was really disappointed to hear the recommended limits of 10meters(33feet) as a maximum depth. Is anyone out there diving with one of these devices? Hoping there are some success stories?

Thanks!
Dana in Olympia, WA

i thought others might be interested in this. i just had the nevro spinal stimulator implanted. It is rated to 35 meters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom