Spinning Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrackaFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just read an article from NatGeo about spinning fish. Late last year a diver in the Lower Keys noticed a pinfish spinning upside down. Since then 44 different types of fish have been observed doing this. Seems they spin then die. Water is being tested for toxins, etc. Has anyone else heard or see this behavior? Seems odd even for Florida

I have a one hundred and seventy five gallon aquarium built into a wall in my family room. It's fresh water but the symptoms are the same. A spinning fish is having problems with his swim bladder. It's a sack that the fish can pump air in and out of to help it rise or sink. In aquarium fish, it's caused by a parasite and is always fatal in aquarium fish.

I’ve seen several reports of this. It’s moving up the keys. It’s impacting lots of different types of fish. I’ll link some of the stuff I’ve seen so far

• All sampled fish showed no virus or parasites, or any organ abnormalities.
  • No red tide was detected in surface water samples, and FL DEP did not detect common contaminants.
  • Benthic harmful algal bloom samples identified elevated concentrations of a dinoflagellate in the genus of Gambierdiscus occurring in areas where symptomatic fish are present. Gambierdiscus can produce multiple types of toxins that can have adverse impacts to fish and potentially people.

I have a one hundred and seventy five gallon aquarium built into a wall in my family room. It's fresh water but the symptoms are the same. A spinning fish is having problems with his swim bladder. It's a sack that the fish can pump air in and out of to help it rise or sink. In aquarium fish, it's caused by a parasite and is always fatal in aquarium fish.
Interesting, but I would have thought that they would have found something if it was parasite related. Do you know if it wipes out the entire aquarium or it is specific to particular fish?

Interesting, but I would have thought that they would have found something if it was parasite related. Do you know if it wipes out the entire aquarium or it is specific to particular fish?
Yeah, I saw that too...that they had found no parasites. In an aquarium, it will wipe out the entire tank but it's easy to treat. It almost always kills the infected fish though.

Back
Top Bottom