spiny lobster and wetsuit don't mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reelmagic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am quite new to diving and just bought a wetsuit which I have worn twice. I have a nice section on my left thigh where my wetsuit already looks worn (pulls and little holes in the top layer). This must be from lobsters in my lobster bag. Anyone experience this?

If this problem has occured near where the bottom of your bc rests against it, I would look for maybe a velcro contact. One way to look at the situation more closely is to don your gear as if you were about to make a dive and see where everything meets other material. This could reveal new info regarding the problem. Personally, I have been diving many years with my lobster bag hanging off my weight belt or a D-ring on the bottom of my bc and I have never had a problem with it damaging my wetsuit, so I am thinking that maybe it could be something else. Good luck.

I am quite new to diving and just bought a wetsuit which I have worn twice. I have a nice section on my left thigh where my wetsuit already looks worn (pulls and little holes in the top layer). This must be from lobsters in my lobster bag. Anyone experience this?

If using a catch bag you should select one with less mesh and more nylon fabric. The standard lobster hotel has one side with a non-mesh nylon fabric.

You could also avoid the contact by adopting the more thoughtful practice of horizontal ascents and safety stops which results in the bag hanging perpendicular to your body...

I've never heard of that problem, Scott L and diverlen nailed it, check for velcro and only use bags with all nylon and just a bit of mesh at the bottom.
They're cheap and I've had mine for about 4 years now. Also, look into a lobster bag with a plastic opening with a trap door that you can shove bugs into, but they can't get out.

You say your new to diving and your lobster bag is so full its scratching your wetsuit and thats a problem but seriously spiny lobster have put a lot holes in my hands but none in my wetsuit its probably the handel or clasp on your bag try a lobster hotel

Thanks guys. I have a lobster hotel that has the trap door, but its all mesh. There is no velcro, the only thing I can think that is causing it is the lobsters legs. I had a large one in the bag this past week. I don't know.

I carry Spiny Lobsters in a mesh bag. Yes, they can rub up your wetsuit if there is too much contact, but it sounds like the sort of wear you are describing is more acute. But I agree, if the wear is at the point of contract, it does very strongly point to that being the cause.

When I hunt whilst solo diving, I usually grip the lobster against my chest or my thigh, whilst I open the bag with the other hand, and despite direct neoprene-to-carpace contact with a flapping lobster, I am still not getting any serious deterioration.

Only thing I can think of is maybe your wetsuit has some kind of defect that makes it more liable to wear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom