Spirit of Freedom in sept. for the seasick prone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqualls

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about trying my first liveaboard in Sept.. The 4 day coral sea spirit of freedom trip sounds really nice,but I am really prone to seasickness.I've used the patch for 5 years but even with it I sometimes get sick in the really rough stuff.(but not nearly as sick as without the patch) Any thoughts?(especially from those who have dove the coral sea around sept).

I've been thinking about doing a live aboard as well but have hesitated for the same reasons you mention, bqualls.

I use those wrist bands that apply pressure in the right spots which help, but I have never been on a boat for longer than about 4-6 hours so not sure how I would feel after 4 days.

Would be great to hear what someone with their own experience has to say.

Cheers
Starlet

My buddy did the Spirit of Freedom trip around that time (think it was August though...) and he said him and his wife took medication the whole time as it was rough. I think with seasickness tablets you need to take them before you get sick (so before you get on the boat) and keep taking them.

I did a week on SOF in March. The crossing to the Coral Sea was the rougher than the previous trip I did (January that time). However, most people survived without too much problem. I didn't take meds as I've not yet gotten sick (touch wood!). As Saspotato said, you need to start the meds in advance of the motion starting. They sell the tablets on the boat and there are free ginger tablets if that works for you.

It's worth the journey!

I've have been on a couple of times and on the passage nearly everyone was sick. First time i was ever seasick. I now take seasickness tablets (medicated not ginger) and i'm fine - they also knowck me out and as its overnight it works well. Rest of trip is fine, just getting out to osprey in the swell can hurt.

It is worth it!!

Kempster1, Are you saying that the spoilsport is more stable in rough weather? And have you been on both boats in rough weather? thanks, bq

Kempster1, Are you saying that the spoilsport is more stable in rough weather? And have you been on both boats in rough weather? thanks, bq

I suspect so. i haven't been on Spoilsport (it's a catamaran isn't it??). SOF is a long, narrow monohull. It can rock & roll in the rough seas. I DEFINITELY would not pay extra for the suites or what it is they call the larger cabins. These cabins are upstairs on the top deck. I know one couple up there on our trip said it was pretty bad trying to sleep during the Coral Sea crossings.

I have been on the spoilsport at Osprey reef when it was on a mooring and watched the SOF which was also on a mooring.
The SOF was rolling in every direction and the Spoilsort was great.

I know which boat I wanted to be on..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom