Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Scubapro Jet fins and Split fins.
Six years ago I brought Split fins it made flutter kick so much more easy. However as I
advance into tech diving, I find doing flog kick was hard to do with Split fins, so I had to
go back to my jet fins. I have not use my Split fins for over two years, and now I am
doing backward kick's and helicopter turn's with Jet fins.

, but a pair of splits in a silty area can cause some real problems.

Have you ever kicked properly with a pair of split fins? I know that you have a lot more dives than me but I've been given coaching techniques by the president and designer of Atomic Aquatics on how to kick with their fins and not silt anything up. Granted that I have never dived in a cave or wreck penetration but I've done some minor cavern diving and hugging the sand to help photographer buddies looking for subjects. I don't mean to brag but I don't kick anything up unlike many other split fins and solid fins divers.

It takes nothing but flicks of the ankles to get things rolling akins to kicking solid fins frog style. The beauty of the split fins is that you don't have to kick so hard to get you going. I can even do helicopter turns with them albeit not as elegantly as; say, a full on tech diver but that's probably due to my lack of skills and experiences than the fins' capability. I have yet to figure out how to kick to go backward but I'm working on it.

I just feel my split fins are way to large and way to flexible to be used in close area's that even the slightest mistake can cause a silt out. To be honest I have yet to see any being worn into a cave. It only takes a slight rub to creat a problem. Some things you have to find out for yourself I guess.

Lets all settle this ridiculous debate once and for all.
Everyone do their next dive with one split fin and one non-split fin.
See which direction you circle in and which leg cramps more.
After we all do that we'll post the results.
Then we can all stop arguing over this and...well...find something else to argue about. :)

By the way, I did Truk Lagoon last year with my split fins and my brother was behind me most of the time with his camera. I didn't kick up any silt. He would have been sure to tell me if I did. There was another diver from florida with paddle fins who went through the wrecks like a motherf_cking propeller. He kicked u pso much damn silt he probably uncovered some new relics, however nobody could have seen them.

The right fins are the ones you are most comfortable with...period.

Pendergast DR, Mollendorf J, Logue C, Samimy S (2003). "Evaluation of fins used in underwater swimming". Undersea Hyperb Med 30 (1): 57?3. PMID 12841609. Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/3936.

Pendergast DR, Mollendorf J, Logue C, Samimy S (2003). "Underwater fin swimming in women with reference to fin selection". Undersea Hyperb Med 30 (1): 75?5. PMID 12841610

We have the second one added as well. RRR ID: 3935

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom