Suggestion Splitting the BCD Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

My suggestion is to split this forum.

How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs (Jacket/Back-inflate)
Backplates & Wings

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

Kim...

... maybe instead of putting all of that in a stickie you could ask one of the BP and wing gurus to write an article on this type of rig. It could include some history, a glossary of terms, a basic explanation of components and options and how they are assembled, a run down on applications and some pros and cons of the BP and wing setup. Maybe you could impose on someone like Tobin to do this... or perhaps Doc Intrepid or Roakey. Put that in the Article section and have your stickie direct readers to the information. I mention those three fellas because I think they are each capable of putting together a pretty objective piece. I'm sure that there are several others that could do that as well.

... just an idea... and one that I haven't given much thought to... just brainstormin' a little.

NetDoc:
I thought only Andy was capable of doing that! :D

alas, i am past my prime

good thing i'm not a horse...

Stephen Ash:
Maybe you could impose on someone like Tobin to do this... or perhaps Doc Intrepid or Roakey.

a swell idea

... or

... do some research and find some of the better threads in the forum that discuss this stuff and put the links in your stickie. It might take some work to find some threads that stay on topic and are relatively free of craziness... but they're out there... its just a matter of finding them.

Stephen Ash:
... or

... do some research and find some of the better threads in the forum that discuss this stuff and put the links in your stickie. It might take some work to find some threads that stay on topic and are relatively free of craziness... but they're out there... its just a matter of finding them.

Okay, good idea but there should be a balance so post on the merits of a jacket or a back inflate and don't forget the hybrid.

Yes Stephen...good ideas but I want the sticky to cover ALL the bases, not just BP/wing. If we could have a sticky that went along the lines of:
This is what is out there:
Jackets are great for x&y, but not so good for a & b
Back inflate (hybrid) is great for c & d but less if you want p & q
BP/W is........ etc etc.

If this was then linked to a few articles that went into this stuff in depth that would be excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom