Suggestion Splitting the BCD Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

My suggestion is to split this forum.

How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs (Jacket/Back-inflate)
Backplates & Wings

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

Jarrett:
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

cerich:
But every BCD post becomes a "get a BP/Wing", in fact it's obvious that BCD's aren't discussed as much any more because every post turns the same way.

Which part of the above two answers confused you?

H2Andy:
yup

why the desire to segregate BP/Wings from the general scuba population?

Jarrett:
It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore.

Not true at all.

Jarrett:
Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W.

Who are these people?

Jarrett:
My suggestion is to split this forum.

Bad idea.

Please see above as to why it is true.

The feeding frenzy this has caused the BP/W people just talking about it is reason enough to do it.

Maule:
Please see above as to why it is true.

Can't find it.

OTOH, I CAN go to the BCF and see all kinds of threads where people get great advice about BCs.

evad:
The original post was "can BP/W be better than this backinflate BC." Which sub-forum would this be in? DIR? Creation? Evolution? Crevolution? Pathetic nonsense?

we'd have to split the thread, and everytime someone mentions a bp/wings, we'd move
that post to the bp/wings forum

obviously...

:eyebrow:

Stephen Ash:
Can't find it.

oh, don't bother discussing things with Mule... i have him on ignore

he's always making personal insults instead of discussing issues

he still hasn't figured out how discussions work on ScubaBoard

H2Andy:
we'd have to split the thread, and everytime someone mentions a bp/wings, we'd move
that post to the bp/wings forum

obviously...

:eyebrow:

LOL

Yes, let's split... and let's not stop with backplates and wings... from now on if someone asks about split fins and gets told they are crap then those responses should be removed... and for that matter the fin forum should be split into the jetfin forum where people are allowed to only discuss the benefits of jets and the other fins forum... If someone asks about wetsuits for sub-40 degree waters and gets told to use a drysuit then those responses should be deleted. Indeed, the exposure protection forum should be split into the wetsuit section where no mention of drysuits is tolerated and the drysuit section... And if someone asks about air2 type octo's then any member who tells that regular backups are better should be banned immediately - that'll teach those meddling rat b@astards! Same with pony bottles - unless the person explicitly asks for opinions. And the computer section should be split into wrist and non-wrist units, and both should have an air and non-air integrated sections and a special section for the new mask computer.

I know it sounds harsh, but it's the only solution. Take me as an example, I had no clue about bp/w's before I came to SB. Had I not seen them mentioned in BCD threads I probably would have bought a basic jacket which is what I used during my initial training and vacation dives. Therefore I was deprived of the wonderful experience of wearing a stab jacket for about 25 dives and then ebaying it once I got into tech and cave diving. :shakehead

P.S. While we are at it, please also split the non-bp/w section into jackets, back-inflates, no-BC's (old school) and the HUB sections, just so that no one will feel threatened to defend their favorite type of equipment against contrary views.

There are lots of debates on fins, AIR2s, whatever. But in most topics there is still at least enough discussion of the alternatives, so new people aren't too mislead because posters in one camp haven't given up. The BP/W thing is way more unbalanced than the others. I pretty much gave up posting anything about traditional BCs, I rarely even bother opening threads about BCs anymore.

One of the problems not really mentioned is the misleading impression the relative number of posts gives to people new to this. It can have them believing 95% people in the world are using BP/W when we know it isn't so, and therefore they should too whatever their situation. I don't usually see anything wrong with a BP/W being suggested as an option (except in the case where someone is clearly aware they exist and says they don't want to hear about it, then it's really annoying.) But piles of mindless "get a BP/W" posts gets old and really skews things.

I actually don't like the idea of a separate forum either, the options ought to be able to be discussed in one place. But a separate forum might be the only way to bring the ratio of posts closer to reality and encourage people to post again. I doubt people will moderate themselves, and I doubt moderating the blatant cases for them will make the numbers reflect reality either.

It's human nature for the Minority to push its cause. While the BP/W crowd is unreasonably burdensome and severe it'll pass with time just as the Edsel did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom